HR17

911car

In response to several requests, here are pictures of the HR17 busby. It is in totally original, untouched, worn condition. Fur is gone on the upper rim, but pretty much intact everywhere else. The Fangschnurr is partly discoloured but undoubtedly of the original yellow type. The Kolpack is also slightly discoloured but bright red on the hidden side.
Overall, condition is not mint but this hat is attaching as an "einwandfreies Original" and honestly, I have never seen a fully original one in much better condition.
Bruno

Oooops... it also comes with the correct Haarbusch but I forgot to install it. I usually do not leave it on the busby as it does not fit in the cabinet (too high)...

Bruno,
Great Pelzmütze !
17.Husaren: always bearskin instead of blackened seal I think.

Only one more pic with the Haarbusch please;

Thank you !

Francis

I guess I was wrong on the bearskin and the sealskin.
Private purchase and all Officers: bearskin
Issued: dyed sealskin.

Francis

Absolutely a KILLER piece! Congrats Bruno! Is it marked under the kolpak ie if you take the kolpak off? My HR 20 is stamped inside like yours but also on the top under the kolpak. Mine is an OR's with leather chin strap just wondering.

Khukri said:

Francis

Francis you were right for all hussar regiments... except HR17, were enlisted busbies were frequently covered with bearskin, as can be seen on many period pictures.

The whole bearskin/sealskin issue is rather confusing.

Bearskin busbys are often linked to senior NCO´s and One-year volunteers, but in reality I think every private/NCO who wanted to pay for it could have a bearskin busby (at least as a walking-out garment, maybe not for parades/on duty).

I can understand why a One-year volunteer would want one. A bearskin would be one of the few uniform details that would set him apart from the enlisted privates.

Catalogues from the era also show that bearskin busbys were more expensive than sealskins. So a bearskin could signal that you came from a wealthy family. The price is probally also the reason we don´t see many bearskins today. They were somewhat scarce.

Which is a same. I would love a bearskin busby, but unfortunally they are a bit out of my price range.

That is a nice bearskin busby on that picture.

I wonder what it would be worth today :eek:

Who want that one in the photo, it's not complete! and the new ones are glued not stitched so .,.,.

Beautiful piece Bruno!

I recall seeing a similar one for auction a couple of years ago or so at Hermann Historica in Muenchen...

911car said:
Khukri said:

Francis

Francis you were right for all hussar regiments... except HR17, were enlisted busbies were frequently covered with bearskin, as can be seen on many period pictures.

I am curious how you can tell is a "furry" busby is issued by looking at a photo?

I agree with Francis. If it is issued, it is seal. If it is private purchase, (and "furry" in a photo) then it is bear. But I have not seen an issued bear one.

WWI Collector said:
911car said:
Khukri said:

Francis

I am curious how you can tell is a "furry" busby is issued by looking at a photo?

I agree with Francis. If it is issued, it is seal. If it is private purchase, (and "furry" in a photo) then it is bear. But I have not seen an issued bear one.

Hi WW1 coll,
On most pictures it is very easy to tell the flat seal fur from the fluffy bearskin, and many period pictures show HR17 soldiers wearing the latter. Here is another one:

If you have never seen an issued bearskin HR17 busby, just scroll up; there is one pictured on this post. I have seen at least 3 similar ones in real.

Bruno

OMG :eek:
Beautiful one, Bruno!!!
And as I already wrote in Karels JR92 topic, I had a small trip in Braunschweig last weekend at the Stadt Museum....Saw period picts and films there of soldiers with this awesome headgear...AAArrrghhhhh....
Some scarce hats on this forum..... Karel and you are the biggest shooters of those extremely rare birds...
:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Jealous...JEalous...JEAlous...JEALOus...JEALOUs....JEALOUS...JEALOUS :D :D :D :D :D

Philippe

Back