Hussar group photo...maybe HR 8

cptbob

Nice shot with good details of the uniforms and the Kar 88's and KD89's. Appears to be 8th HR. You can faintly make out the cypher on the shoulder straps and the schirmmutze of the officer photo-bombing them in the background looks to be light blue. Enjoy!

HRwithrifles.jpg
HRwithrifleszoom.jpg

Indeed a great photo. But I think there are 2 numbers on the shoulder. A „1“ is good to see with some other picture settings. Maybe 10,16 0r 18?
1FE50107-DCBF-4444-84D8-5CF825C0A6AF.jpeg

Thanks Sandy. My first impressions were that it was a "16". After doing some searching thru the references I changed my mind. Some uniform details from 16th: cornflower blue/white attila, yellow kolpak... The 8th wore dark blue/white attila and light blue kolpak. The 8th also had a cypher on their straps (one of only a few that did) that I think looks pretty close. The below photo is from one of Steve McFarland's recent posts and the last 2 in the 1st row and 1st 3 in 2nd are HR 8. I think that cypher is what's in there. The colors seem to line up a little better too. (ie the Kolpaks and officer's schirmmutze band appear to be blue...I believe yellow would tend to be a little darker?)
Cheers! Bob

H R 1-XL.jpg

Perhaps this is a job for our resident colourist...one who has the computer program to analyze black and white photos??

At first glance I agree with you, it looks very similar. But it looks like an attached 3D-Badge, not a cypher embroided on. And in this case the crown would leave a shadow over the cypher too, which is missing. That's the reason why I doubt :-k

I tryed some other settings and I think more and more that it seems to be HR 10. The „1“ is good to see on the blue negative picture and the green/gold color of the Uniform could also match to the photo.
E5DD1C92-4D88-4CAE-AC00-8AC4D89292E1.jpeg62886C31-7E68-4CE0-8E4F-F5E724F923FD.jpeg

Attachments

• 507029CA-220D-4FCA-8410-813B93ADEE9E.jpeg
    507029CA-220D-4FCA-8410-813B93ADEE9E.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 453
With the bad focus and resolution it is a bit of a detective mystery! The earlier models had the metal badges (see photo from Mike Kelso's excellent book...I seem to recognize the owner's name :) ) . I was wondering about the missing crown as well. If I squint hard enough I can convince myself there is something there. :) Cheers!

Maybe one of the resident shoulder strap experts can answer this question...Did the Hussar regiments wear the regiment number on the old style shoulder strap, or was this introduced with the later models? Thanks!

HR8Shoulder.jpg

Hi Sandy,
It's good to have the photos working again. :) Thank you, whoever got that working. :bravo: I've been looking at these photos searching for the crown and I think it may be there. The devices on the shoulder strap are showing up fairly clear because of the sharp, steep edges that are creating a shadow from some light source behind them. The crowns for this Regiment are different than most (is that because it is for a czar??) and are fairly flat and would not provide many sharp, steep edges to cast a shadow. However, there are 2 prominent bumps on the crown that could very easily cast small shadows from backlighting. If we look at one of those photos you posted (those color contrasts really help!) you can see 2 small shadows about where the bumps on the crown would be. Maybe I'm over thinking this. :)
Cheers!
IMG_0252a.jpg
hr8ss1a.jpg

Back