I am a collector again! Prussian Fusilier M95!

Jaap,
I have a M1860 Pickelhaube from IR75 and had a very hard time reading the unit marks. I tried white light, LED light, black light, and fluorescent light, and nothing worked. I finally took the helmet outside and looked at it under sunlight and the marks were fully readable --- clear as a bell. I guess I'm saying --- don't overlook the obvious.

Another trick is to photograph the marks you want to read and put the photos on your computer. Open the photographs and adjust them using each available filter. Sometimes you can't see anything under red or blue, but under green it shows up clearly.

I am an old guy, so if you have trouble with the computer filters find a 16 year old kid to do it, like I did.

John :)

I'm not much of a draughtsman as you can see (wide grin)! This is what I deciphered on the inside of the Hinterschirm of the "old Prussian lady". In reality all letters/numbers are a bit smaller in relation to the Schirm and there's some more space between "FR38" and "II", but this drawing, indeed this piece of art :D, should give a decent impression anyway. I discovered no traces of any Bekleidungsamt stamp. So indeed, what we have here seems to be a helmet of "Füsiliers Regiment 38 Graf Moltke", issued in the year 1900, and since then having become "zweite Garnitur".

The "8" in "FR38" is a bit unclear, as is the first "I" in "II", but I'm pretty sure this is what it reads. As for the "38" in the other half of the Schirm... the only purpose/meaning of that stamp I can think of, is (for whatever reason...) a repeat of the regimental number. That is... unless any of you more knowledgeable guys can come up with another explanation?

Yes, I know that I'm becoming a bloody nuisance here, but I'm so excited to finally have a real Pickelhaube again, that I simply can't contain myself :p!

markings.png

Back