I have been given a Pickelhaube-no idea which badge it is?

Mart2436

I've been given this helmet but I cannot find another to compare it to.

I've been through the usual Prussian stuff but this badge has
me stuffed.

First post for me.....be gentle as you tell me it's a replica and painted
in the back garden.

Thanks all. Mart.

Attachments

• Pickelhaube2.jpg
    Pickelhaube2.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Pickelhaube3.jpg
    Pickelhaube3.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 62
The Plate looks familiar, but I don't really know it. However the actual body of the helmet looks pretty bad. I might say its fake, actually id say I'm pretty sure, I'm sure someone with more experience than I can tell you more.

Last edited:
Hello Mart,

The helmet appears to be one of the replica helmets made in the United Kingdom, circa 1980's. The entire helmet including the helmet body and all the parts are replica. Everything on the helmet has also been artificially aged, in order to make it look "old".

If you look at the leather sweatband inside the helmet, you will most likely see that the sweatband is far too large for the size or circumference of the helmet shell. In other words, the sweatband will not lie perfectly smooth against the inner shell of the helmet, it will be puckered out and too large. This is typical of these "made in the U.K." replica helmets.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Thank you, a pretty over-whelming verdict of helmet skull-duggery.

I hope my next post has a happier outcome.

Mart.

Thank you, a pretty over-whelming verdict of helmet skull-duggery.

I hope my next post has a happier outcome.

Mart.

Good grief, that is the worst replica I have ever seen, but at least it was a gift to you so, you could always use it as a filler for an Uberzug?
Thanks, is it as bad as another pickelhaube he gave at the same time. I am prepared for the bad news. Mart.

Attachments

• IMG_5335.JPG
    IMG_5335.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5336.JPG
    IMG_5336.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5337.JPG
    IMG_5337.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5338.JPG
    IMG_5338.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5339.JPG
    IMG_5339.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I would highly recommend new collectors post here first before making a move. There is literally enough knowledge here to fill volumes and between all the members I'm sure we own every book ever published on the subject so if you don't know it you can pretty much bet another member here does and is more than happy to help in any way.

That also goes for replicas and sadly fakes as well.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I would highly recommend new collectors post here first before making a move. There is literally enough knowledge here to fill volumes and between all the members I'm sure we own every book ever published on the subject so if you don't know it you can pretty much bet another member here does and is more than happy to help in any way.

That also goes for replicas and sadly fakes as well.
Thank you, I have learnt my first replica lesson. It is however remarkably easy to post in the new collector's section.

A thread called "About fakes" in the Pickelhaube Discussion section is something which you will probably enjoy reading and will give you a very good background to these pitfalls that all of us have seen at some time. Don't let it put you off, there are still good helmets, dealers and collectors out there.

Back