I like this one but what do you think?

I am tempted by this one it seems to pass most of the fake criteria but would value any second opinions.

many thanks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231759407246?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i'm not gonna judge this one beeing bad but these are hard to judge on pictures
im not mutch of help here ,sorry

jonas

ebeeby said:
My 2 cents: ALL FAKE

Interesting, why do you say that? I've three of these in my collection, all original and this one looks good to me. I wonder what 'retainer' is in back, since the taller, cylindrical brad to hold the brow plate strap in place doesn't seem to show. If it is a fake, the counterfeiter is very, very proficient. Rather pricey IMHO, but then, I never paid more than $80 for one.

:D Ron

To me the liner looks good, I have seen a number of liners that look the same, one is in our local museum and has been there since the early 70s. The leather band looks dried in a way that is difficult to do artificially and I really can not see anything untoward in this helmet except the price, but then that is what they are bringing now.

What I don't like is the contrast between the fingers and the pads. The fingers are greatly shrunken compared to the wear on the pads. The stitching on the pads is awfully bright and the pillows are quite bright as well. Notice the cracking at the point on the fingers where they join the pads - a very odd wear point.

The beating to the paint on the crown seems forced as compared to the rest of the helm. The surface of the chinstrap lug pin seems wrong and the brush marks from one panel to the next in photo 3 looks like varnish was applied after the color.

But of course there is no substitute to holding one in your hands.

Again, just my 2 cents

It look original to me,but I'm not sure the liner is the original to the the shell. The two split pins that can be seen in the photos are mis-matched and one has been closed up. Price is way too high.

Thanks for all your input, these things are a nightmare I was happy with the helm it was the paintwork I do not know enough about. Yes it is steep but about the norm here in Europe.

Back