I need info on this pickelhaube.

TedBull

Hello, I am new to this site and to pickelhaubes. I inherited this pickelhaube that is said to have been in my family since world war 1. I have no other info on it. It is in really good shape and does not have any misplaced holes. Could anyone please give me some info. Year made? Rank or unit? estimated value? overall condition. Any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Ted

helmet135.jpg

helmet136.jpg

helmet137.jpg

helmet143.jpg

helmet147.jpg

helmet151.jpg

helmet160.jpg

helmet159.jpg

helmet155.jpg

helmet149.jpg

helmet148.jpg

helmet146.jpg

helmet145.jpg

Ted,

The original issue date seems to be 1875. It appears to be an enlisted Prussian helmet from infantry Regiment 30. I will leave the condition issues to those who know more about these things but the rosettes, or method of attaching the Chin scales to the helmet are not correct. Hope this helps.

Joe is correct. This is the typical 1871 model, which saw the return of the rear spine. It is indeed well marked. Chinscales attachments are wrong but should not be too diificult to replace with original parts. You will need the flat "rosettes", dome-headed screws and one black/white/cockade.

Thank you for the info. I am interested in restoring it to its original condition. Can anyone give me a list of suppliers of original pickelhaube parts? Also can anyone post a pic of the same vintage helmet in original condition? I noticed that mine is probably missing pieces of the chin scales-The pieces that latch together. Any Idea on the value of this pickelhaube?

Ted

Hi Ted: Thanks for joining us. I would recommend going to Tony Schnurr's web site....The Kaisers Bunker. Tony is a member here and has a fantastic collection and a great web site. You can see pics of everything you need there. Value is hard to pin down and we don't usually get into that here but....$1500 + or - I would say. Brian

Hi Ted,welcome here!

Brian is right-Tony´s web is great. Some details you are looking for,you can find just now in my current post -there is depicted the same helmet -with different wappen only.
Alexandr

http://pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=28418#28418

For what it's worth, I recently sold an 1871 helmet on ebay , named to a One Year Volunteer, in good condition and all fittings gilded. After first failing to sell at its starting price it went at the second attempt for £480. I wonder if there's more interest in the later models, which were around at the timeof WW1? I bought it from Germany some years ago and it went back there.

Patrick

Back