I.R. 76 circa 1886 - 1890

Wyliecoyote

Wanted to share this pic of I.R. 76 troopers firing their Infantrie Gewehr 71/84's. This 11mm black powder metallic cartridge rifle was issued starting in July 1886 until being replaced by Gewehr 88 starting in 1890 (G.K. troops 1889). What is very interesting is that they wear perlring spike helmets that were modified for the M1887 hook & loop chin strap system. This is an undated commercial photo, not great clarity, and they are in the sunlight, but they seem to also have the M1887 rib embossed edge visor also. There doesn't appear to be any glare which you would expect if the brass trim were there. Enjoy.

Great photo, especially when you can date it with something like the rifles.

The Model 1887 included some significant changes in additon to the pressed front visor, such as a new pattern of leather chinstrap and a shorter spike with five ventilation holes and no Perlring. However, I have several photos like yours of what are M87 based upon the visor and chinstrap, but with M1871 spikes with Perlrings. And I have seen several in collections; which leads me to believe that in many cases, the old M71 spikes were being used on new helmets.

T

I knew you would come & save the day! I wondered whether or not they were M1887 or an older type modified to M1887 standards, great. Thanks.

Geo

Wyliecoyote said:
I wondered whether or not they were M1887 or an older type modified to M1887 standards, great. Thanks.

They could be either actually....but I think more likely to be new M1887 with old spikes stocks.

Must be similiar to modern times. The Regs. change for adoption of new equipment, but the old stocks are used up first.

Here is another along the same lines, this one definitely (at least to me) looks like an updated M1887. Perlring spikes, M91 posts, visor trim. Difficult to tell if there are spines.

Here we see two Prussian soldiers wearing what looks like M1887 pickelhauben, the soldier on the right has no cockade on the left side, the man at left has one one the right side. Prior to the introduction of the M1897 Reich kokorde, (Red, White, Black), the Landes or State cockade was worn on the right side. In 1897 that was changed to Reich kokorde on the right, State on the left. By the appearance of their chin straps, they are both M1891. Their tunics are M1893 Litewka. They both are armed with Gewehr 88 rifles and S1871 bayonets. This photo was taken circa 1893 - 1897.

Anyone know what style breadbag that is?

Geo

Tony & Kaiser said:
The Model 1887 included some significant changes in additon to the pressed front visor, such as a new pattern of leather chinstrap and a shorter spike with five ventilation holes and no Perlring. However, I have several photos like yours of what are M87 based upon the visor and chinstrap, but with M1871 spikes with Perlrings. And I have seen several in collections; which leads me to believe that in many cases, the old M71 spikes were being used on new helmets.

Hi

After having searched from my side too, I totally Agree with this sentence:

The 1887 is really a transitional helmet using parts from the old 1871 as well as new prtas from the 1895.

Back