Idaho?

joerookery

The back of a postcard with some German soldiers on the front mailed all the way to... Idaho?
idaho.jpg

Idaho is not that far from Germany, but Grangeville is, where did you get this one?
Gus

I got it off an American on eBay -- if I get organized today I'll mail it to you -- it is unusual. You got to love those stamps though -- 7 1/2 pfennings.

Hey Joe, the stamps have been canceled and that is not my address, is there a photo on the other side?
Gus
PS I am going to send you a copy of Borat, I bought it for my father, but after being tramatized by the naked wrastling scene, I do not think I will give it to him. The best part of the Deeveedee is the special feature of Jay Leno and Martha Stewart with Borat on the Tonight Show, but I figured that since you were the one that called our attention to Aly Gee, you should get the disc.

I have that already! Our daughter bought it and awarded it to me as a consolation prize for something. A bit over the top but I did laugh.

Hey Joe
Grabski, Emil Adolf , born 30 Jul 1890, in Usdan E. Prussia Germany, the shoulder straps in the photo have a 17, that should be 42 division, that was supposed to be raise in Lorraine, that does not make any sense, I will work on the text.
Thanks it is way cool
Gus

You cannot have that already. I just put it in the mailbox. I don't have a copy of the picture but they are not infantry are they? It does make sense for AL recruits to be spread.

Yup, it is here, you are right they are not infantry, are they some sort of mounted , as they all have sabers, and the cap bands are a light colour. On a closer look, the trousers are leather reinforced in the seat. Labiau is in Ostprussen, so that fits Emil's birth place, and there is not indication at this point that the men on the front of the card are related to Otto Grabski. Fun card, I owe you one Joe, and next time I will bring you a beer, instead of drinking all of yours.
Gus
grabski600uc1.jpg

Hey George, that is the maximum size image that I can upload on image shack, I will e-mail you a scan.
Gus

Very nice pic, although very confusing as they appear to be wearing line style pickelhaubes. You would think these guys would have Dragoon helmets with square visors. They have calvary style boots with the spurs. Some have the convex chin scales. Can't be Feld Art. as they don't have kugelhelms, and JzP's wore the metal helm. This one will go down in myth busters along with Joe's RLR 16 soldier with a Landsturm hat/cover if the mystery gets solved.

:dontknow:

Geo

I always thought that Train troops wore tschakos. Checked Kaiser's Bunker and low and behold Train used the tschako from 1863 until 1903. Learn something new . . .

Here is a translation from the card with the help of a Belgian,
Labian, 22/11/1916
Dear Emil!
I got your letter that you wrote on (the back) of a picture.
I have been drafted as a military man from the first of December on.
I ordered me a prosthesis for my teeth (false teeth). The cost is 205,- (The characters are smudged, and 205 German Marks seem to much in my opinion).
Albert is at the front. Did you receive a picture of him yet? Here we got one.
Much greetings Otto

It does not offer much information about the photo on the front, and I suspect that it has little to do with the sender, or he would have made a note of it.
Gus

Back