Identifying pesky "off colour" Kokarden?

Grausig13

Hallo All,
I have a heckuva time with certain cockades. Not everything matches the limited charts made 100+ years ago, and some modern interpretations may have colours off. What I am currently having issue with is this seemingly period light blue and white. The yellow-white colour is not quite the same browned white on the NCO cap cockades I have, but it is a glossy thicker paint applied after the matte light blue.

With so many sources being drawn or rendered from listed colours and not the actual cockades, I can't make an assessment. They do appear to be original with some age on them, but not what I would call "used." Both sides shown--I bought them figuring if he colours were fantasy, they appeared to be decent copies to repaint at a fair price. Now I think I have originals for a Beamter, police, or a dog catcher in some odd little duchy.

Schwarzburg/Rudolstadt has been identified by a couple of people, but my chart shows a much darker blue. One friend suggested possibly even Hanover, but I did not ask where that colour combo would apply to the state. These were sold as Bayern, but I know that is not correct for a military Pickelhaube Kokarde.

Appreciate the help! Would love to see any pictures people have showing actual cockades that are not the typical ones.

what.JPG

That Kokarde is perfectly legit.
It is from an Argentina Pickelhaube from around 1900.
I cannot find a photo to copy, but Google it and you will see several samples.

John :)

Thank you. Seemed legit, but was looking for the answer in German colours, as well as following leads from other sellers.

I guess the question now is if anyone happens to need them? I don't know how common or sought they are. I am hesitant to use them to repaint for a repro I wear at historical talks and displays.

Grausig13 said:
Thank you. Seemed legit, but was looking for the answer in German colours, as well as following leads from other sellers.

I guess the question now is if anyone happens to need them? I don't know how common or sought they are. I am hesitant to use them to repaint for a repro I wear at historical talks and displays.

If you need original Kokarden ask for them on the forum. Members generally are very helpful in finding what you need. If you are looking for reproduction there are several on Ebay. They are usually cast and heavy but the colors are normally correct.

These cockades are much rarer than most German ones, but not as sought after. If you're looking for Reichs and State cockades, PM me and perhaps we can work out a trade...

Thanks John--had these been theatrical or modern I would consider repainting, but of course not considering what they are! I have some repros, but as you say, heavy and they just do not look right.

Fritz.

SkipperJohn said:
Grausig13 said:

If you need original Kokarden ask for them on the forum. Members generally are very helpful in finding what you need. If you are looking for reproduction there are several on Ebay. They are usually cast and heavy but the colors are normally correct.

Back