III. Landsturm Eskadron / II. Bayer. Armee-Korps

Paranoid_Womb

Procured this card:

8657693722_04082a3d7b_o.jpg

As seen on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/paranoid_womb/8657693722/in/photostream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What I could come up with so far:

Postcard made in memory of the war 1914-1915. Name and unit are listed on the back. I hope we can this "George Rittermann" in the Kriegsstammrolle and see his carreer.

Unit: III. Landsturm Eskadron (II bayer. Armee-Korps).

Headwear: Tschakpa with chinscales, Bavarian Feldzeichen and Bavarian Wappen with Landsturm cross. Year of the model: unknown to me. (Note: hook for Fangschnurr nicely visible)

Tunic: Fieldgrey Waffenrock with shoulder straps marked 1. It seems like he first served in the 1. Royal Bavarian Ulanen-Regiment and that he is still wearing his old uniform.

Armament: Karabiner 98 with a clear Seitengewehr 1914.

Opinions/info on the helmet and tunic are most welcome - I'm no expert in that field.

Detail of the helmet.
8671812897_b19bc1250c_o.jpg

Can anyone tell me what model it is?

He's wearing the tunic of the Bavarian Ulanen, identified by the Polish style cuffs. The Chevauleger wore Swedish cuffs. I'm sure there are some regulations explaining how the various Landsturm units were outfitted. I suspect it can be found in Kraus, but I do not have access my library today.

Chip

Back