Ikea Cabinets

No, I don't know Tony, I just know of his website. I was just hoping to see a couple of close-ups pictures of your Lieb Hussars!!

Adam

Pontiac9999 ;

I have taken 3 new photos
Keep a look out at the

Busbies / Pelzmutzen
topic
that is where I will post them
I have to send them to
Photobucket
allow a little time

Steve

Steve, I wouldn't mind having a set of cabinets like that...full of helms, of course!

Dennis

KAGGR#1 said:
Dennis ;
Keep the faith !

It only took me 46 years

Steve

Only problem is that them early years was the golden age for military memorabilia, and they are never coming back. :(

On the other hand, there was no internet back then, so, I’m still hopeful to have a decent collection one day. :?

Ed ;
You are oh so correct !
But almost nothing from my collection has come from
the internet .
I have bought a few enlisted Prussian Grenadier helmets
from EBay ( Some of favorites ). Regardless of condition as long as they are
correct and have the proper regiment markings .
Sorry to say we will never return to reasonable prices .
At my start in 1970 , I made up a want list .
I bought some of my first helmets form Paul von Ruehs in N.J.
He was an early collector and was buying in Germany for
re-sale over here in the States .
Then I when looking for all the contacts that were collectors .
I took vacations to visit them and take photos of their collections .
I joined the OVMS when it was a "starter " show in the basement
of a church . As most of know the OVMS grew into what we
know today is the Show of Shows .
Things were a little easier to find in those days .
My "want list " changed about 1992 when I sold all my
Non -Prussian helmets .
You are correct in that due to todays prices
I could never put the collection together again .

Steve

I hear you Steve ,and as banks nowadays are only good in making money disappear, people will look for more and more valuables to invest into.

Wait a minute ... S.O.S. began in the basement of a church? :eek: :eek: :eek:
What better place to trade guns right. :D

Ed ;
Yes it was very small at one time .
I don't know the start year for sure
but I just looked at old OVMS badge
and it has a 1977 sticker on it .
And you are so correct about the banks ,
as a senior citizen couple who both
my wife and I worked all of our lives
with the Fed holding our interest rates
down over here in the States
there is no return on life savings .
Lucky to get 3/4's of 1 %
Too old for the stock market
already been there
I always liked the collection more
than money anyway
Steve

Spiker said:
Wait a minute ... S.O.S. began in the basement of a church?
What better place to trade guns right.

Actually OVMS - Ohio Valley Military Show - began with a small show in the basement, but it was far from the Show of Shows. OVMS was around since the 1960s but the first SOS was in 1992, and by today's standards it was a good size show, but not the mega-show of today. I didn't make that one, but I wish I did.

The MAX Show is actually older than SOS and began in St. Louis, before going to Baltimore and then Pittsburgh/Monroeville. But back in the day the Drawbridge Inn show, which OVMS put on was considered one of the largest shows.

Personally I find some irony in the fact that so many dealers and collectors alike say the "hobby is dying" yet every year SOS is a bit bigger and there is still a waiting list for tables. I do think the show is at its zenith and really can't/shouldn't get bigger. I also agree the collectors are getting older, but a big event show will continue to thrive. I hope I'm around for at least the 50th SOS - that's only 2042!

I ‘m sure the hobby will go on for as long people walk the earth, collecting is in everyone’s blood, just like hunting, its a survivors instinct from the past.
Actually there are more collectors now ,that’s what makes it harder to fill a room like Steve.
When I look at the Ciney show here in Belgium ,I can see it is not slowing down,always very crowded.
A higher entrance fee might help, (to keep the people away who are just having a day out)but then everyone will be nagging about that too ... no ,perhaps it should move to expo Brussels, a lot more space there!

That is good news Ed and Pete, I always worry about the resale value of my collection. We all have to sell sometime down the road.

KAGGR#1 said:
Thank you
Sweden ;
Did you ever know the late Jarl Hartze
of Stockholm ?

Steve

Ive heard of him from some long time old collectors here in Sweden. He was a true legend i the collector world, when he passed away it says that he got some 500 pieces of haubes and old headgear in his collection, mostly of old Swedish headgears.

Do you have any pictures of Jarls stuff, please share them with us here :thumb up:

Back