Imperial German Schutztruppe Mounted Pattern Equipment

flasheart

Gents,

You won't believe this but I now have an original set of Schutztruppen Mounted Pattern equipment, and without paying 2500 EUROS from Weitze. This is basically identical to the set shown on the germancolonialuniforms.com website, and in Johan Somers Volume 3 of Imperial German Uniforms and Equipment. In fact it is so similar, it is the exact same set, from the Doppler collection. Unfortunately it is missing the rear buckle so I will seeking to find a close replacement or perhaps even construct a replacement.

Other than the set on Weitze, this is the only set I have ever seen for sale, so I consider myself very fortunate to have acquired it, and basically completed the Schutztruppe uniform with the M1896 tunic and trousers, 'Sudwester' slouch hat and now the very rare mounted pattern equipment.

Mike

http://www.sacktrick.com/igu/germancolonialuniforms/militaria/mountedequipment.htm

P5253283-1.jpg

P5253284-1.jpg

P5253282-1.jpg

P5253285-1.jpg

P5253286-2.jpg

P5253287-2.jpg

ab7093a6.jpg

4e46da98.jpg

8d163a48.jpg

5ec34fce.jpg

Incredible set. I can imagine how rare the Schutztruppen mounted pattern equipment must be. In the period photos you've attached, only one shows the type with snap buttons that you have. Are they different models or are the button versions just a variation?

Hans

Hans,

According to Johan Somers there were three types of the Mounted Pattern Equipment. The first type had only the belt pouches and lacked the two shoulder pouches. The second type had the shoulder pouches but lacked the press studs on the flaps. The third and final type (like this set) added the press studs to stop the ammunition falling out.

Tony,

Would you believe Ebay! I have never seen a set for sale before or since, other than the set Weitze had for 2500 EUROS. I despaired of ever finding an original set. Then a fellow who must have had the world's German colonial gear (Many of the photos in Johan Somers book and many photos on the website are of the Doppler collection) started selling his collection. Most of the sudwesters went for 1500EUROS+.

It is a very impressive display, the uniform is a large size so it fits a modern sized torso mannequin.

I love the studio photos of these guys, always quite dashing.

The correct weapon is the Schutzetruppen-Gewehr 98 with the flattened, turned down bolt handle. Another rare item

Mike

Beautiful aquisition!

It seems surprising that the infantry of the regular army never developed something like this. Can you imagine how badly it sucked, under fire, to try and low crawl out of the line of fire wearing M95 or M1909 pouches?

Thanks for sharing!

Geo

Hello
A very good link about german colonial uniforms
http://www.sacktrick.com/igu/germancolonialuniforms/
regards

Hi Bernard,
Thank you for recommending my website, there is a much easier link at www.germancolonialuniforms.co.uk . I'd recommend you put this link in your favourites as the old one you quoted will one day be deleted.
Cheers
Chris

Chris,

Your website is fantastic, it is the main one I go to for researching colonial uniforms. The Johan Somers book is also a great resource - with many of the items being the same ones featured on your website. This stuff must be rare!

Mike

Back