Imperial Infantryman Bronze Sculpture

nzef1940

New to my collection:

Large bronze sculpture of a 19th century Imperial German Army Infantryman, weighing 3,75kg and measuring 44cm in height, from the 1890s, the figure depicts a soldier wearing a pre-1890 tunic with marksmanship lanyard and bearing a Gewehr 1888 with matching M1888 cartridge pouches, the pack, bayonet, entrenching tool, bread bag and water bottle are all nicely detailed, the Pickelhaube has both cockades and the soldier has high marching boots, the figure's base is signed with the artist's name and bottom is marked 29.1.89 (presumably the date), the foundry is unknown, sculpture shows wear and patina from long display and handling.

Attachments

• IMG_7467.jpeg
    IMG_7467.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6650.jpeg
    IMG_6650.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6655.png
    IMG_6655.png
    584.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6658.png
    IMG_6658.png
    611.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6653.png
    IMG_6653.png
    582.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6654.png
    IMG_6654.png
    705.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6651.png
    IMG_6651.png
    796.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6652.png
    IMG_6652.png
    763.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6649.png
    IMG_6649.png
    611.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6657.png
    IMG_6657.png
    612.7 KB · Views: 45
New to my collection:

Large bronze sculpture of a 19th century Imperial German Army Infantryman, weighing 3,75kg and measuring 44cm in height, from the 1890s, the figure depicts a soldier wearing a pre-1890 tunic with marksmanship lanyard and bearing a Gewehr 1888 with matching M1888 cartridge pouches, the pack, bayonet, entrenching tool, bread bag and water bottle are all nicely detailed, the Pickelhaube has both cockades and the soldier has high marching boots, the figure's base is signed with the artist's name and bottom is marked 29.1.89 (presumably the date), the foundry is unknown, sculpture shows wear and patina from long display and handling.
Prussian I R 21 ?
Steve

Prussian I R 21 ?
Steve
That's what the boards show.

If you look at the bottom you will notice two holes, I'd bet it was once mounted on a marble base and had an engraved plaque. Most likely it was given as a gift to a retiring officer or as a prize.

Maybe a shooting prize going by the lanyard he is wearing.

Great piece (y)(y)

A very, very nice piece to have in one's collection! I see the number 2 on the shoulder straps and I wonder if this was a custom detail which could be added for the buyer?? Excellent bronze! 👍

That's what the boards show.

If you look at the bottom you will notice two holes, I'd bet it was once mounted on a marble base and had an engraved plaque. Most likely it was given as a gift to a retiring officer or as a prize.

Maybe a shooting prize going by the lanyard he is wearing.

Great piece (y)(y)

I agree it would have had a base and a dedication plaque of some sort originally now sadly lost to history.

A very, very nice piece to have in one's collection! I see the number 2 on the shoulder straps and I wonder if this was a custom detail which could be added for the buyer?? Excellent bronze! 👍
I suspect the unit numbering was a custom feature, it is 21.

I have not seen this particular moulded figure before and am curious if other collectors have?

I suspect the unit numbering was a custom feature, it is 21.

I have not seen this particular moulded figure before and am curious if other collectors have?

I would agree that would be made to order; I've definitely seen it before.

I'm sure I have an old period magazine around somewhere with an advertisement for statues. I enjoy ready the period stuff and looking at the ads in the back where you could make private purchases of items for the field like flashlights and personal items.

If I find it, I will definitely make you a copy of the add.

Congrats, it's a nice bronze.

I did the write-up for Mike at VG, and he told me before the SOS that it was heading "down south".

Back