In Memory of my Great Uncle

Lance Corporal William John Crooks
Battalion Sniper / Observer

New Zealand Expeditionary Force
Company D, 1st Battalion Trentham Regiment
3rd New Zealand Rifle Brigade

Born : 5 November 1893
Died : Friday, 8 June 1917, Messines, Belgium

Killed in Action during a bombardment after a heavy shell burst in the trench his unit was holding, burying him and three of his comrades. After they were dug out, it was found that they were dead. One piece of shell fragment had pierced his neck, and a second pierced his chest.

90 years ago today.

Below is a copy of a letter that my other Great Uncle, his brother James (who lived in in U.K.) received from William's Commanding Officer.

1st Battalion Trentham Regiment
3rd New Zealand Rifle Brigade

16th July 1917

Dear Mr. Crooks

Your letter enquiring into the death of your brother came to hand a few
days ago, and it is my privilege to be able to give you particuliars. Your
brother was an observer attached to company headquarters and in that
capacity went over the top with the division on the 7th June. We had
very few casualties actually in the advance, and reached our objective
quite easily.

However, the next day being the 8th June, the enemy, whose artillery
fire was very consistent, opened up with a rather more intense fire. At
about 11:30 a.m. a heavy shell burst in the trench we were holding,
killed your brother and three others.

We immediately dug out those who had been buried by the shell and
found that your brother, together with the others, was dead. His death
must have been instantaneous, as one piece of shell had penetrated his
neck, and another piece his chest. His end, then, was peaceful.

We buried him quite close to where he fell and erected a cross to his
memory. He lies quite close to the village of Messines, together with
several of his comrades.

Your brother was very highly thought of by both his officers and
comrades. He was a Battalion Sniper and Observer for some months,
and did splendid work in that capacity.

May I, on behalf of his comrades and my brother officers, extend my
deepest sympathy in your loss?

Yours sincerely,

Selwyn G. Woods (Lt. O/C D. Coy)

How should one read the rank of Selwyn G. Woods? Lt. Officer Commanding D Company?

Hi George:

Thank you for sharing part of your family history. I can only imagine how devastating the loss of a brother must have been for your Uncle James. Do you know how your Uncle William came to be part of the NZEF?

I think you're quite correct about Lt. Woods' rank.

Chas.

Both William & James were my paternal Grandmothers brothers. They were 4 children including my Great Aunt Anne. I believe they were all born in Barrow in Furness England. After a carraige accident killed their parents, they were shipped off to live with their fathers parents in Co. Tyrone, Ireland.

William emigrated to New Zealand in 1913. He settled in Rangiora, where he enlisted into the NZ Army in 1914. . He left NZ with The New Zealand Expeditionary Force, D Company, 1st Btn. Trentham Regt. on 9 October 1915 on the transport Maunganui number 30 and arrived at Suez 17 November 1915. I am unsure when they arrived on the Western Front.

He was promoted to the rank of L/Cpl September 8, 1915, and wounded once in the field in France, but remained with his unit. I will include some info from a very kind gentleman from New Zealand, Aaron Nelson, from the Great War Forum posted for me:

Now the action of the 1st Battalion NZRB I can summarise as per the following. Im not sure if you are aware but on the 7th of June 1917 the British attacked the village of Messines and the Messines ridge. This battle was started with the planned detonation of 21 mines which had been buried underthe German lines. 19 mines actually exploded and the result was quite spectacular. The New Zealand Division was alloted the task of taking the village of Messine itself and the land to the East and West of the village, this was over a frontage of approx 1500 yards. Zero hour was 3.10am on the 7th of June, and the mines set off with mighty explosions. The 1st battalion and 3rd battalion of the NZRB moved out over no mans land as soon as the mines blew up, its interesting to note here that no mines were actually in the NZers sector, however all the same, over they went out into no mans land. No mans land was quickly crossed due to the darkness and confusion caused by the mines and artillery bombardment on the German front lines. By 3.45am all the first objectives had been captured succesfully, D company of the 1st Battalion was given as its objective a stretch of trench just outside the village of Messines.

However the early success was a blessing which was to turn to hell. The Germans filled the area of Messines and the newly occupied land the New Zealanders occupied with a very heavy artillerey barrage. The shellfire expereinced by the New Zealanders over the next 3 days was amoung the most severe throughout the whole war. Strecther Bearers had the hard task of going out again and agian into the hell of the shell fire to retrieve wounded men, our Great Grandfather was amoung the strecher men over that time, and for his efforts he was awarded the Military medal for gallantary. It was during this shell fire that your relative perished. As the letter confirms.

His PIP, SQUEAK AND WILFRED medals (1914-15 Star, British War Medal 1914 - 1920, Victory Medal 1914 - 1918) were presented to his brother James, who lived in the UK.

George,
Fascinating story and great to preserve that history. As a fellow ANZAC, your interpretation of the signature block is correct and it should be read:

Selwyn G. Woods
Lieutenant
Officer Commanding
D Company

In fact, we still write signature blocks in this sequence now.

mike

I also have further information regarding Lt.Woods, who was kind enough to find time to write my Great Uncle James regarding his brothers fate, illustrating the sacrifices of the ANZAC troops on the Western front:

Some background info on Leiutenant Selwyn G. Woods, he himself died later on in the war. He died of wounds on the 5th of December 1917, he was Selwyn Gorton Woods, regimental number 12337. He is buried at BELGIUM - LIJSSENTHOEK MILITARY CEMETERY. At the time of his death he was Temporary Captain, although officially still a Leiutenant. He was from the suburb of Ponsonby in Auckland which is now today an affluent suburb within 5 kilometers of the CBD of Auckland NZ. At the time of his death he was 24 years of age.He was born in Auckland, NZ

I don’t know, why I have missed this topic in 2007, but anyway I have read this topic now in 2011, George. Being it almost 5 years later, this topic is for me still interesting and it shows perhaps also the value of this topic not only for me, but also for others who will perhaps detect this topic too late. In our passion of studying and researching the period we sometimes almost forget “the human factor” and the misery of all these individual men. Your personal story about your Great Uncle, Lance Corporal William John Crooks, contributes to keep us aware of this human factor. What strikes me also again, is the fact that not only the wounded, missing and killed soldiers were the victims of this war, but also all these families, who lost their beloved sons, fathers, brothers, and uncles, were victims, who had to cope for years with their mourning process.

As many of you here already know, I do enjoy my travels along the relics of the Western Front. But every day, when I stay at the front, I visit, mostly in the morning before we explore the relics of the battlefields, at least one cemetery, just to always remind me of this human factor of my passion of nowadays. Sometimes family placed a photograph of the deceased on a grave, which in a way seems emphasize the reason for the existence of the grave and the cemetery.

An example of this photo phenomenon on Hawthorn Ridge, Somme.
110f6ew.jpg

Five years later, George, and perhaps way too late, I thank you for this interesting, human angle of this topic about a part of your family history!

Perhaps interesting in relation to this topic? Monument for the New Zealand Division at Messines Ridge, Belgium:
1zeyt5e.jpg

For more info and photo’s about Messines Ridge, click HERE.

Thanks for your response Peter!

One day I hope to visit his grave. I am unsure if any relative has ever been to Messines Cemetary to visit him since 1917. My Grandmother passed away in 1956, before I was born. I do know that on the rare occasion that she spoke of her brother, she was always very emotional.

Best Regards,

George

25 April 2014 is ANZAC Day, a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand that broadly commemorates all Australians and New Zealanders "who served and died in all wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations" and "the contribution and suffering of all those who have served. Originally 25 April every year was to honor the members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought at Gallipoli in the Ottoman Empire during World War I.

Lance Corporal William John Crooks was laid to rest in an unmarked grave in Messines Ridge British Cemetery, Mesen, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium. His exact location is known but to God.

Rest In Peace William. We have not forgotten.

8445544191_2f48b7fc7b_c.jpg

8445436781_73600ca891_c.jpg

In gratitude to William Crooks.

My grandfather also served with the NZEF, he was a private in the 1st Canterbury Regiment on the Western Front from 1916. He was lucky enough to return to New Zealand in June 1919.

Their service and sacrifice helped bring about the freedom we enjoy today.

Lance Corporal William John Crooks was K.I.A. at 23 years of age. 98 years ago today. Rest in Peace William you have not been forgotten.

Back