Info needed On Felt/Leather Helmets

pickelhauben

Hey Guys,

I was reading in one of my reference books and there was a black and white pic of a Prussian spike helmet with felt dome with leather side post backings and front/ rear visors.
In the caption it stated that the dome was leather covered with felt and this how they were able to save on the use of leather.

Could this be a typo ?

Because it seems to me that it is a leather helmet covered with felt.
Were there ersatz helmets made with felt only domes and side post and visors made of leather ?

If so would any of you have any pics of one of these helmets ?

I do not believe its a typo. I believe that is an error.

These are (usually) the Preußische Versuchshelm (Experimental Pickelhaube) Model 1905/06. In 1914 to meet the demands of mobilization, the stockpiled M1905/06 were re-issued to troops and are often confused with Ersatz felt Pickelhaubes that have had leather visors attached in repair depots.

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/helmets/dbh71.htm

Then to confuse matters, Ersatz Filz Pickelhauben were very often repaired with leather visors. So which one is it?

Dscf0351.jpg
Dscf0352.jpg
Dscf0353.jpg
Dscf0356.jpg

Hey Tony,

Thanks for your input.

Does anybody have a ersatz felt helmet that has had the leather visors attached to a felt dome ?

Here"s a leather one, covered with felt…

2r3uxyb.jpg

2sabko3.jpg

And here's a felt one with leather visor and cardboard neckguard…

10x7lhh.jpg

16lfbc1.jpg

Hope this helps you

Adler

Thanks guys for the GREAT pics and feed back .
I love the gray arty !!!!!

Does anybody know if these type of felts ( with no leather dome ) used the leather backing for the 91 posts ?

Back