Info on helmet

hatleyj

I collect Japanese WWII, but was offered this helmet for sale. What concerns me is its condition. It is in its original box, which is lined with the same material as the inside of the helmet. Can someone please give me some insite. Thanks in advance.

I would agree that it looks too new, but if you examine the plate and don't find any evidence of it being a copy, then I think you have a good one here. There were some helmets that were purchased during the war and worn very little (if at all) and this may be one of them. My major concern is that label on the front. Not only is it wrong (1813 my sore little butt), but it may have damaged the surface. Whoever put t on there is an IDIOT. Sorry, no better word for it and it would be a good idea to talk to a museum conservator before trying to remove it.
Also, to me it looks as if the dome is leather, while the front and rear visors are fiber, is that correct?
I'd like to hear what others have to say.

By the way, welcome! You've come to the right place.

:D Ron

Take a look. This one is all fiber:

http://pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can not tell if it is fiber or leather. The outside does not appear to be leather, but from the inside it does. I had stopped by a local antique store and bought a nice stahlhelm 1916 that had just walked in. I went to the other local antique store and showed him the 1916. He tells me that he thinks he has a German helmet at home and brings in the pickelhaube the next day. Needless to say I ended up with two in two days.

I can not tell if it is fiber or leather. The outside does not appear to be leather, but from the inside it does.

It is a leather body helmet. The black finish on the outside of the helmet body is oxidizing. The mercury fire gilt finish on the metal fittings is spectacular! :thumb up: The helmet looks to be in practically "unworn" condition.

Congratulations on a mint condition Prussian Reserve Infantry Officer Helmet! It's a real beauty! =D>

From what I see of the background items in the photos taken in one of the antique shops (with what appears to be an old iron horse-drawn farm implement seat) and some other junk from the shop, I'm dumbfounded that the shop owner would have something this nice at home that he brought in for you to buy. Good for you, and congratulations once again! Can we see photos of the steel helmet you bought as well?

All the Best,

Alan

Very nice mint condition officer helmet and you got the carrying case as well...that is a score to remember!

Can someone give me some kind of value? I know that without having it in hand it is a guess, but I am trying to find out how I did.

That label is one of those hand-held labeler strips. Remember those? You had to punch in letter by letter, and then peel the tape off the back of the plastic label. The good news, is there is a product called Goo-be-Gone which will remove any glue, and that label should slide off. Peel one corner up with tweesers and apply BBG with a small pointed 00 artist paint brush. Just test it carefully on the visor to make sure it is also not Lacquer-be-gone.

I've got a steel helmet that someone put one of those labels on. The label fell off on its own due to age, but did leave a mark in the paint of the helmet.

aicusv said:
I've got a steel helmet that someone put one of those labels on. The label fell off on its own due to age, but did leave a mark in the paint of the helmet.

That's a good point. There are compounds like 'Goo Gone' in the US that will remove the adhesive, but I don't know if that would damage the lacquer (or helmet paint for that matter). That's why I suggested talking to a museum conservator, or maybe even two! :)

I was able to remove the sticker without any problem. The glue seemed to be very old and it almost fell off. I have taken some pictures of the inside to the helmet and was wondering if anyone could help me a translation. Also what are the straps for inside of the helmet box? Thanks

I'll let people who are more familiar with German cursive writing give it a stab, but I'm very glad the label came off without any damage. Very nice indeed.
Usually numbers indicate shell size, but 66 seems much too big, judging from the proportion of the wappen to the shell.

That is the size but...Fritz was having a bad writing day....it is 56 1/2 not 66. The largest helme size in my experience is a 60 cm. The smallest 53 cm which is like a pin head. I once owned an M15 JzP stamped size 60 cm (rear rim). I have a Prussian OR M95 marked 53. I am working on a Prussian Garde officer...size 53 which is the smallest I have ever seen in an officer helme, and that really creates problems restoration wise! The Saxon JR 133 listed in the restoration section is a size 54. Sizes on officer helmes are always written in blue or black on the inside of the shell. Some have the size marked on the button which secures the end of the spine and they do come in half sizes. I do not believe that govt issued helmets came in half sizes. In my experience any half sized helme is private purchase. Sizes on govt issued helmets can be ink stamped or punched using a stamping tool. The size can be stamped on the inside of the shell or on the rear visor. The Saxe 133/34 in the restoration thread is a punched 54 cm. I have found that Bavarian Regts tended to punch their Regt information on the rear visor but again...... anything goes, it seems, there were no rules!
In my experience, the JzP and Kurassier OR helmes are size punched on the inside back rim of the lobster tail. Pre war helmes and even war time helmets of these types may also have the Regt numbers punched in this area. Then of course, we may find information stamped under the kokarde on these metal helmes. This has given me an idea for a new section on the forum dedicated to the metal cavalry JzP and Kurassier helmes.......to be continued!

Back