INKSTAMPS

DPW

Are you frustrated trying to read inkstamps? Well I have a tip that may be of help. I'm an astronomer and in astronomy we use various coloured filters to enhance detail on planets. I've discovered that red will greatly enhance inkstamps, often making impossible ones easy to see!

I use an astronomical filter, a Celestron #21 red filter, 1.25-inch diameter, which is intended to be screwed into the base of a telescope eyepiece and can be purchased from any astronomy supply shop. But I would think that any type of red gel would probably produce the same effect, though I have not tried it.

This is how to use the filter: put it on a strong magnifying glass, one with a good lip so the filter won't fall off, so you can look thru both at the same time. This also gives you a free hand. Go out into bright sunlight, which works better than electric light. If you look thru the glass itself and then thru it with the filter you will be surprised at the improvement. Inkstamps jump out at you in superb detail. I've been able to read stamps that were unreadable otherwise.

It can help with impressed stamps that are ink filled, but isn't so effective on the normal impressed ones. I used the filter on a helmet that seemed to have no stamps at all and discovered the regiment, issue date, company and battalion! Try it and see how you get on.

I think these filters sell for around $50.00 in the USA. Well worth it in my opinion.

Hi DPW:

Thanks for the tip. I have a red R8/25A filter I used for 35 mm black and white photography, and will put it to the test.

Chas.

That is quite interesting. Do you have any experience doing it in Photoshop? I tried looking at crumby marks -- or rather photographs of crumby marks -- with a red lens maintaining the opacity and varying the intensity of the red. While I got some reasonable results adjusting the contrast seems to have done better on the pictures. Do you have any experience on the computer with this? That really is an interesting data point -- I compared it against Green and other color mixes and your idea has some real merit versus other colors. Interesting. :cool: :cool: :cool:

I had mixed results. Below is a M1915 Model 1915 Hessen
Field Artillery Regt 25.

fgh38e.jpg

And now with a red via Photoshop. Perhaps too red? I'll try the Celestron #21 red filter and see what happens.
biggrin.gif

red.jpg

I have not used a red filter photographically on helmets, but I'm sure it would enhance the stamps just as it does optically. The filters work that way when used to photograph an object through a telescope so they should do the same for a helmet.

Back