Is this an original or a repro?

wangdango

I found this in a barn that was being cleaned out. Is it real? If so what type/year/etc? Is the missing chinstrap leather or scales? What type of cockcades, missing spike, etc. This is my first pickelhaube and I am just getting started in the hobby.
THanks
Ed

This is a helmet for an enlisted man in Prussian Dragoner Regiment 15 (DR15), model 1891-1895.
Cockades should be the classic Reich (red/white/black) and Prussia (black/white/black) ones. It should bear domed chinscales.

Thanks for the info, does anyone have pictures of this helmet in great shape? Also, any ideas if there are repro chinstraps/spike so I can make this complete? And one more question, does the chinscales/straps have closed (does not show the attachment points on the side of the helmet or are they visiable?).
Thanks AGAIN!
ED

Interesting thing is, my last name is Preusser, just like Preussen..........!

You can find reproduction chinscales here:
http://ageofkingsmilitaria.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Originals are difficult to find (and even more so in the correct size), hence expensive. A pair of cavalry chinscales just sold on ebay for over $ 1000,00.
At the top of the empty spike base, on your helmet, should come a relatively high domed metal piece with a thread in the center, in which the spike itself screws. I won't have access to my collection in the immediate future. Maybe someone else can send pictures.
Best wishes for the restoration. Clean minimally (or not at all) if possible...

Bruno

Thanks Bruno-
Can you tell me which of the chinstraps you stated earlier (from the site with the repros), I am a bit confused about which ones you meant. I am also extremely interested in finding a spike for the helmet. Will be ok with repros for now...... Thanks again
Ed

Send the photos of your helmet to Age of Kings and they'll help you. They're very knowledgeable. I would guess that you'd see the side lugs with enlisted scales. Also, Welcome to the forum!

:D Ron

Here is the kind of chinscales you need, Ed:

L1010162.jpg

L1010156.jpg

Bruno

Greetings, Guys!
Just chiming in here.... I'm not sure if the thread sizes will match up, but Prussian Glory carries replacement spikes, hardware & chinscales of all varieties. They are made in Germany and their quality is generally very good. A query to Tom Sebold, who owns/runs the site could likely answer any questions. I'm sure most of the forum knows about this site, ie, prussianglory.com. I recently had them make me a pre-war dunkelblau Prussian General staff officer's uniform. They do great work!

Cheers,
Terry

Back