Is this Bavarian helmet authentic?

08/15

Hello folks.....This helmet is currently on eBay. Can anyone enlighten me as to why the fittings are not brass, and why the spike is not fluted? I thought those were characteristics of Bavarian helmets. Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pickelhaube-Helmet-Casque-Bayern-1880_W0QQitemZ6622065234QQcategoryZ13965QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bavaria did not adopt the Prussian style spike helmet until 1886. The helmet on ebay is essentially a modification of the Model 1868 Raupenhelm. From the photographs, the helmet shows evidence of possible recent alterations.

These style helmets were also worn by Schwere Reiter regiments from about 1879 until 1886. However, the Schwere Reiter helmets usually have the same 2 piece front plate (Crown above the letter L) as used on the Raupenhelm. After 1886 Bavarian helmets in the Prussian style are seen with fluted spikes for certain units. The following Bavarian helmets will be found with fluted spikes, All officer helmets, Schwere Reiter regiments, Cheveauleger regiments, field artillery regiments and train Bataillons. Infantry and foot artillery units wore smooth spikes. Bavarian artillery units did not adopt the kugel (ball top) helmet until 1914.
The following Bavarian units wore helmets with silver fittings: Infantry Leib regiment, 1st Schwere Reiter Regiment, Chevauleger regiments 2, 4, 6, and 8, 2nd Ulan Regiment, Pioneer Bataillons, Eisenahn, Telegraphen, Luftshiffer, and Kraftfahr Bataillons. Helmets for other Bavarian units had brass/gilt fittings.

I hope the above helps.

Reservist1

Please note the seller .they have been discussed before . beware of what they sell . :-?
Mark G

These are My own opinions and should not reflect those of any other member of this forum or the forum it self.
MArk Giroux

reservist1 said:
From the photographs, the helmet shows evidence of possible recent alterations.

I agree, did you see this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pickelhaube-Helmet-Casque-Germany-1870_W0QQitemZ6622067936QQcategoryZ13965QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Otto

Many thanks to all of you who replied. You zeroed in on my question right away. I'm always amazed at the depth of expertise that's on this Forum, and willingness of you guys to share the info. Thanks very much. You help this hobby to enjoy a real camaraderie that's lacking in other fields of militaria collecting. Zum wohl!

a real camaraderie that's lacking in other fields of militaria collecting.

We all owe Brian and Margo a lot. I have learned much! If you enjoy come to SOS it just gets better!

Hey Fg42,
what Joe said, by the way, did you get the M15 with the missing spike yet?
Gus

Back