Is this WW1 Turkish Uniform Original or Not?

Very interesting and informative. Thank you for these posts. This part of WW1 tends to be overshadowed by the Western front. I know that it is very important to Australians and New Zealanders. How do Turkish people regard it? I have a connection, as my Scottish grand father fought at the Dardanelles with the Highland Light Infantry. Fortunately, he survived the terrible attacks and conditions.

b.loree said:
Very interesting and informative. Thank you for these posts. This part of WW1 tends to be overshadowed by the Western front. I know that it is very important to Australians and New Zealanders. How do Turkish people regard it? I have a connection, as my Scottish grand father fought at the Dardanelles with the Highland Light Infantry. Fortunately, he survived the terrible attacks and conditions.

Brian--I was at Gallipoli about a year and a half ago, and I have to say that it has made the area a tourist destination. The only other thing to see in that part of Turkey (which I didn't get to) is the ruins of Troy. Gallipoli is about a five hour car ride from Istanbul and there is really no other way to get there. In fact having done the drive I'm now of the "WTF were they thinking" as I can't see how an army could have made that march.

What is really notable too is that the British and Commonwealth grave sites are manicured yet many of the markes still simply say, "solider X, belived to be buried in this area," but the Turkish graves are mass graves with just lists of who MIGHT be buried there. The Turks and Australians have a great respect for one another. This is even notable in some of the recent movies that have been produced in Turkey about the battle.

Back