Ive been bird watching

weirdpyramid

So here is another of those complex issues, that of wappen variations. In particular those of EM's GDC and GKR wappens and those little black birds in the middle. I have been looking at reference pictures in books and all over the internet for examples.

I decided for the most part they all look almost identical to one another with maybe tiny little differences and I am sure they have change through the years that they were made. As some people state, there were primarily only two manufacturers Damaschke and Juncker so that would probably mean less variety in examples.

But then I find a oddity, as you can see in the image below. The bird is a little less detailed but the rest of the wappen is very detailed and crisp, more so than all the others I have seen. This wappen is on a EM helmet but looks maybe it could be a NCO version, maybe? Anyone have a clue? Im i being crazy? 8-[

This is a link to Tony's helmet for reference, his wappen is very similar to all the others I have found.
http://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/helmets/dbh25.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The reason I am so interested is because I want to get enlisted GDC or GKR helmet sometime in the future and I am trying to understand as much as I possibly can.

screenshot20120914at120.png

That's indeed a very interesting observation but I don't have a clue :lol: However, Weitze has a GDC helmet for sale which has a birdie with considerable more detail compared to the bird on the pics you posted. Perhaps the following link is helpful:

https://www.weitze.net/detail/14/Preussen_Helm_fuer_Offiziere_im_Regiment_Garde_du_Corps_bzw_Garde_Kuerassier_Regiment__108714.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Edwin

As stated I think there are various degrees of detail.

Here is mine on a OR Junckers marked 1915 helmet

James

DSC01366.jpg

joerookery said:
I think it is simply a function of different quality levels by the same manufactuer.

Hey Joe

Take a look at this example from someone's collection, it also has the diagonal "rope" pattern but different eagle. :wink:

http://www.pickelhauben.net/pickelhaube/GdKurr.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have been looking into a lot of things concerning the GDC and GKR wappens and parade eagle models for EM and NCO/Fähnrich models. Silver crown, brass crown or gilt crown on a parade eagle? what type of wappen goes with a certain parade eagle and what kokarden?

What are the characteristics of a parade eagle, kokarden and inner lining of a EM helmet compared to that of a NCO OR Fähnrich helmet? This super confusing..... #-o

Chris,

We need John Gaadt an artist from California. He does not play at all online but goes to SOS andhas pics of his trove. He only collects Gd du Corps and has dozens of helmets.

joerookery said:
We need John Gaadt an artist from California. He does not play at all online but goes to SOS andhas pics of his trove. He only collects Gd du Corps and has dozens of helmets.

Thanks Joe...

How would one go about summoning this man?

I am also a former artist/designer from California originally, LA to be exact.

joerookery said:

Found him!

I think actually my Dad knows this guy! small world.

Joe,
He is in fact Georges Gaadt and he lives in Pennsylvania. I know him well; he has indeed a fantastic collection; exclusively GdC.

Bruno

Bruno,

He may indeed have the knowledge for this. Perhaps you have a phone number for Chris? I am sure he would share. :bravo:

Joe I will try to find it but a few weeks ago all my belongings were stolen as I was traveling through an under-developed country. Money, checkbooks, credit cards, driving license, passport, telephone... everything gone and much more(including my telphone # list). Since then I am trying to return to normal life...
Bruno

Back