Jäger-Sturm-Bataillon Nr. 3 Fahne

mike kelso

The most historical piece and centerpiece of my Jäger collection. Thanks to a trade with Steve several years ago. Please excuse the lengthy history but I think it important to tell the provenance of the flag.

1. JB3 flag d.jpg2. JB3 flag b.jpg3. JB3 flag center.jpg4. JB3 07 FB.jpg5. JB3 1870 pole top_2.jpg6. JB3 rings.jpg7. Jg5.jpgBrandenburgisches Jäger-Sturm-Bataillon Nr. 3 Fahnen

This flag is the center piece of my Imperial Jäger collection. This Jäger battalion flag, 1890 pattern, is of true historical value being the only known and identified Prussian Jäger Battalion color in a private collection. The flag with provenance also includes the all important original black pole (two sections for removal from Russia), unit pole rings (BJB3 & KWII date 1902) and earned honors including 4 of 5 streamers, the 1870 Grand Cross pole top and the Bänderole 1900. JB3 carried the most honors of the 11 Prussian Jäger battalions, Garde-Jäger and Garde-Schützen Bns.

JB3 (raised 1815) honors included;
Militärehrenzeichen 1848/49 w/o swords awarded 1861 (not present)
Kriegsgedenkmünze 1864 with swords
Alsenkreuzes 1864 awarded 1865
Erinnerungskreuzes 1866 with swords
1870 Iron Cross pole top awarded 1872
Ehrenkreuz der Frontkämpfer 1914/18
Bänderole with 1 Januar 1900 plate, missing WII plate on ribbon.
Säkular Auszeichsnungbander (Centennial Ribbon)-ribbon awarded on 100th anniversary of unit. Eligible in 1915, not awarded due to war.

JB3 began WWI serving with the 5th Infantry Division in the drive on France. In 1917 the battalion was titled Jäger-Sturm-Bataillon Nr. 3 with assignment to the Deutsche Jäger Division. DJD participated in combat during the Italian Campaign and the final battles in France. They began the long march back to Germany on 12 November.

History of the battalion color:

1902 JB Nr. 3 flag presented by Kaiser Wilhelm II as King of Prussia.
1915 All regimental flags returned to depot for duration of war by order of Kaiser.
1918 End of WWI, dissolution of the Reich, all regimental flags remain in caretaker status.
1923-1933 Flags used during ceremonies involving units carrying Imperial traditions. During this period preservation netting probably added.
1934-1939 Flags carried during ceremonies by units of the new Deutsche Heer. JB3 traditions carried by 3rd Bn. 8th Infantry Regiment.
1945 Flags captured by Russians at fall of Berlin including colors of JB1, JB2, JB3, JB6.
1945-1990 Captured flags carried during Russian Victory Parade in Moscow, thrown on steps of Lenin’s tomb at Red Square. Captured flags in storage at Moscow Museum.
1990 American collector secures deal with the museum in Moscow… a heating/air system for the museum with collector selecting and receiving several flags primarily Third Reich. The flag of JB3 was only Imperial flag selected.
1990 JB3 flag sold to American collector.
1992 JB3 flag sold to American collector Steve McFarland.
2019 JB3 flag acquired for my collection.

Current status of eleven Prussian Jager battalion flags;
GJB unknown, possibly in Deutsche Heer Museum (DHM)
JB1 Russian museum
JB2 Russian museum
JB3 owned by American collector – only JB flag with provenance in private hands
JB4 unknown, possibly in DHM
JB5 Lost with all flags of Armee Korps V at Posen, burned on orders of CG
JB6 Russian museum
JB7 unknown, possibly in DHM

Jager flags captured by US 3rd Army;
JB8 returned to Germany, in DHM
JB9 flag taken by US Soldier (not returned), pole, rings and streamers in DHM
JB10 flag taken by US Soldier (not returned), pole, rings and streamers in DHM
( There is a JB flag in a private American collection without provenance, JB9 or JB10?)
JB11 returned to Germany, in DHM

Saxon JB12 location unknown by me
Saxon JB13 location unknown by me
Mecklenburg JB14 location unknown by me
Bavaria JB1 location unknown by me
Bavaria JB2 location unknown by me

The most historical piece and centerpiece of my Jäger collection. Thanks to a trade with Steve several years ago. Please excuse the lengthy history but I think it important to tell the provenance of the flag.

This flag is the center piece of my Imperial Jäger collection. This Jäger battalion flag, 1890 pattern, is of true historical value being the only known and identified Prussian Jäger Battalion color in a private collection. The flag with provenance also includes the all important original black pole (two sections for removal from Russia), unit pole rings (BJB3 & KWII date 1902) and earned honors including 4 of 5 streamers, the 1870 Grand Cross pole top and the Bänderole 1900. JB3 carried the most honors of the 11 Prussian Jäger battalions, Garde-Jäger and Garde-Schützen Bns.

JB3 (raised 1815) honors included;
Militärehrenzeichen 1848/49 w/o swords awarded 1861 (not present)
Kriegsgedenkmünze 1864 with swords
Alsenkreuzes 1864 awarded 1865
Erinnerungskreuzes 1866 with swords
1870 Iron Cross pole top awarded 1872
Ehrenkreuz der Frontkämpfer 1914/18
Bänderole with 1 Januar 1900 plate, missing WII plate on ribbon.
Säkular Auszeichsnungbander (Centennial Ribbon)-ribbon awarded on 100th anniversary of unit. Eligible in 1915, not awarded due to war.

JB3 began WWI serving with the 5th Infantry Division in the drive on France. In 1917 the battalion was titled Jäger-Sturm-Bataillon Nr. 3 with assignment to the Deutsche Jäger Division. DJD participated in combat during the Italian Campaign and the final battles in France. They began the long march back to Germany on 12 November.

History of the battalion color:

1902 JB Nr. 3 flag presented by Kaiser Wilhelm II as King of Prussia.
1915 All regimental flags returned to depot for duration of war by order of Kaiser.
1918 End of WWI, dissolution of the Reich, all regimental flags remain in caretaker status.
1923-1933 Flags used during ceremonies involving units carrying Imperial traditions. During this period preservation netting probably added.
1934-1939 Flags carried during ceremonies by units of the new Deutsche Heer. JB3 traditions carried by 3rd Bn. 8th Infantry Regiment.
1945 Flags captured by Russians at fall of Berlin including colors of JB1, JB2, JB3, JB6.
1945-1990 Captured flags carried during Russian Victory Parade in Moscow, thrown on steps of Lenin’s tomb at Red Square. Captured flags in storage at Moscow Museum.
1990 American collector secures deal with the museum in Moscow… a heating/air system for the museum with collector selecting and receiving several flags primarily Third Reich. The flag of JB3 was only Imperial flag selected.
1990 JB3 flag sold to American collector.
1992 JB3 flag sold to American collector Steve McFarland.
2019 JB3 flag acquired for my collection.

Current status of eleven Prussian Jager battalion flags;
GJB unknown, possibly in Deutsche Heer Museum (DHM)
JB1 Russian museum
JB2 Russian museum
JB3 owned by American collector – only JB flag with provenance in private hands
JB4 unknown, possibly in DHM
JB5 Lost with all flags of Armee Korps V at Posen, burned on orders of CG
JB6 Russian museum
JB7 unknown, possibly in DHM

Jager flags captured by US 3rd Army;
JB8 returned to Germany, in DHM
JB9 flag taken by US Soldier (not returned), pole, rings and streamers in DHM
JB10 flag taken by US Soldier (not returned), pole, rings and streamers in DHM
( There is a JB flag in a private American collection without provenance, JB9 or JB10?)
JB11 returned to Germany, in DHM

Saxon JB12 location unknown by me
Saxon JB13 location unknown by me
Mecklenburg JB14 location unknown by me
Bavaria JB1 location unknown by me
Bavaria JB2 location unknown by me
Mike
Great report and photos
You did a great job with your history
Pretty sure the the Garde Jager and Garde Schutzen flags are at DHM
I will try and check that
Steve