Jäger zu Pferde Restoration Project Questions - Photos Added

Mike9999

Hello Folks -

Well, I swore I would only have one pickelhaube in the collection, but now there are three. The third is a Jäger zu Pferde that I am restoring. When I obtained it it had a nice shell with 99%interior paint and no finish on the outside. Complete intact wappen and the liner band. Have been able to add the wartime spike.

I have in the 'parts box' two original pickelhaube liners which leads to my one of my questions. Did the Jäger zu Pferde have a different pattern liner due to the curve at the ears or will a standard pickelhaube liner fit?

Also, the shell is quite nice with only a couple very minor dents, but a 'steel' finish mixed with some light rust spots. I think the original finish was a blued finish? If so, would cold bluing detract?

Any other advice appreciated!

Thanks and best regards!
- Mike

PH1.JPG

PH2.JPG

PH3.JPG

PH4.JPG

PH5.JPG

Unfortunately, your ordinary haube liner will not fit. They were stitched to the rim of that leather band so had to be cut to match the curves for the ears. If you like I can PM the name and phone number of a person who could stitch a repro liner on that band. The band has to be taken off the shell so those prongs have to be bent straight. Let me know.
Bavarian M15 OR wappen...Starting, $75

Hi Brian -

Thank you very much. Yes, if not too much trouble I would appreciate receiving the name of the individual who could perform the liner work. I was afraid that the liner would be different. However, I also have a stahlblech with the felt(?) liner band and 'hopefully' the liner will work in that helmet. I am a bit concerned about the pins, but they appear to be solid and not rusted.

Any thoughts or recommendations (or previous threads) on the exterior? Is the steel finish a common finish or were they all darkened?

I think the spike is correct, but I am treading into new territory and readily admit not to be very knowledgeable on these.

Thanks again and best regards!
- Mike

No problem. I will PM you with that info. This is the common original M15 finish...no bluing. If worried about the prongs, just send my friend the helmet and he will do the job. He is the top restoration guy in the USA in my opinion. Most prongs can be bent back using a small straight blade screw driver to raise them up above the surface of the helmet. Then use a small set of curved needle nose pliers to slip in near the base of the prongs and squeeze them vertical. To reverse the process use the same screw driver or knife to spread the prongs open enough so you can get the tip of your needle nose in between them. Then, push them flat with the tip of the pliers.

Back