Jaeger zu Pferde river crossing

JzPf

Jaegers transporting their horses across the river....guess who pulled the short straws? Looks like lances and perhaps saddlery are also in the boat.

Dennis,

Could I talk you out of a high density scan of this picture? Also you permission to publish it in a book? In August 1914 HKK2 had to do a lot of this around the Belgian town of Visé. This is the best picture I have ever seen of this.

V/R
Joe

Joe

Sure thing. I'll shoot you a scan of the photo at highest res., I just need your e-mail address.

Dennis

Great picture, thanks for posting. Took a second look.... today, I see 4 troopers, leading 5 horses and a mound of gear/tack. One man on the tiller and another poling! The water is within 6-8 inches of the gunnels.....not a safe situation! They are obviously upriver from their destination hoping that the oarsman can guide the boat to a safe landing on the opposite river bank. I wonder if the swimmers were supposed to cling to the sides of the boat and cross also? The Sergeant in the foreground holding a buggy whip, perhaps the boat was brought up using a wagon? Again, a great photo!

Back