Jäger zu Pherde Offiziershelm

A beautiful example in excellent condition, thank you for this post. I see you like myself use antique wooden hat forms to support your helmet. 👍

The studs should be silver. Ive looked at other helmets online and seems that only one helmet with silver eagle and spike had silt studs but i can’t say that they may been silver at on time.
I should have the helmet in hand this week. At that time I’ll take more photos of the studs and retaining nuts. The helmet is lovely throughout so I can’t imagine what the effect of gilt studs has on the helmet. It’s not correct but when where they changed, when built, during the war, after…?

Beautiful helmet, I have a helmet stuck in customs too... If I have any winning strategies, I'll let you know.

Reactions: ccj
Ok, I got this in my hands now. In person I must say it’s impressive. I’m no expert but it sure looks like the real deal.

I cannot explain the brass studs on the spike base but that look to have been there a long time. How long, I can’t say. IMG_3463.jpegIMG_3462.jpegIMG_3461.jpegIMG_3459.jpegIMG_3458.jpegIMG_3456.jpegIMG_3457.jpeg

Charles, I think it is all original as the patina on the inside looks even. Maybe the silver plating has been polished off or the owner liked it better than having all the rivets in silver. I once read in an 1896 article from the „Militär-Wochenblatt“ that officers often didn’t know the clothing regulations. I could imagine that small deviations were tolerated.
IMG_7696.jpeg

officers often didn’t know the clothing regulations
Hi Sandy,
The article refers to the clothing regulations for the enlisted men, not the one for officers.
For me the patina of the studs on top looks different than the patina of the rivets, but that's hard to see. I would certainly not replace them, wouldn't be the first time that some obscure regulation comes to light that explains what seemed to be a deviation.
Stunning looking helmet!
Regards,
Lars

Hi Sandy,
The article refers to the clothing regulations for the enlisted men, not the one for officers.
For me the patina of the studs on top looks different than the patina of the rivets, but that's hard to see. I would certainly not replace them, wouldn't be the first time that some obscure regulation comes to light that explains what seemed to be a deviation.
Stunning looking helmet!
Regards,
Lars
Hi Lars,
you are right, it is an article about the new clothing regulations for enlisted men. But it mentioned that officers often didn’t care about the clothing regulations at all, if they are not part of a clothing commission. That's what I wanted to highlight.
Concerning the patina of the rivets you are also right. It looks different from the rest. But the spike and spikebase are also different from the rest and very shiny. That’s why I could imagine that a silver plating has been polished off. Also because the patina threaded pin inside looks equal to the nuts.

Thanks everyone. Its very nice in hand, thats for certain. The spike and base dont look like they would oxidize or such like the other compoents.
Photo of several from the interwebs.... and a few shots of the spike on the helmet. Maybe someon with a JzP or Kurrassier helmet would show their spike and base. Ive seen a cupld varitions in material and style for the officer. I understand the 2nd and 6th in the below lineup are fahnrich helmets.

2023 09 03 09.04.47 Caudle.jpg2023 09 06 16.36.48 Caudle.jpg2023 09 06 16.36.56 Caudle.jpg2023 09 06 16.38.23 Caudle.jpg

Back