Jager m7/15 straps

mike kelso

Guys, a few of Bd 31c Jager a.jpgmy Jaeger straps. The JB1 example is for the Friedensrock. Jaeger straps are found in both gray-green and field gray. Green piped field gray straps were also worn by Mountain Machinegun units with unit number on the strap. Still missing a few of the 31 straps. The hardest to find is JB27 formed from Finnish volunteers and used as a nucleus of the post 1918 Finnish army.

Note the JB3 strap worn by Jaeger (Sturm)-Bataillon Nr. 3 and the black piped Garde-Schutzen-Bataillon strap. The R2 strap is for Wurttemberg's Bicycle Company Nr. 2. The light gray-green Reichswehr IR10 strap was worn by the regiments third battalion as the tradition bearer for JB10.

Outstanding Mike! Some very rare straps in there.

My M1915 RJB Nr.25 was the most I ever paid for a shoulder strap in my life and I’d do it again.

Wow, very nice. Thanks for showing.

The closest I will come to a JB 27 strap is a picture I took in the military museum in Helsinki:

Attachments

• JB_27_Helsinki.jpg
    JB_27_Helsinki.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 32
Mike ;
Excellent display
Thanks for the post and the photos
I think that I know where some of those straps came from
Steve

Excellent post Mike, very interesting! Straps are a whole other huge area of Imperial collecting! My thanks for that 4th Garde strap James bought for me at the last SOS. He is now under orders to look for the 1st GRzF OR’s strap. 😊

An update to my Jager straps. Finally, after years of searching, I finally added a Garde-Jaeger-Bn m7 strap. The strap, on ebay, was mis-named and listed as a German epaulette. Thanks to a fellow collector for making me aware of this important strap.

The GJB and GSB straps do not stand out visually. But they do represent the elite of the Jager/Schutzen battalions. I am thrilled to have both in my collection.
MikeBd 31 GJB GSB.jpgBd 31 GJB GSB rev.jpg

Outstanding again! Personally I am amazed any Garde straps survived, as they are blank and not that interesting to the vast majority of people who doesn’t know what it is. If a Veteran’s shoe box of souvenirs has cyphered and numbered straps, those are interesting. But blank straps? Pfft. In the trash.Good for you Mike, you saved one!

Last edited:
Hmmm
You learn something every day
Knowing that the blank straps are Gardes does that make them pricey because of the status or less because of the plainest ?

In the case of the 2 that Mike just posted
they can go for crazy prices as they are not often if ever seen .Also they are the rare Feldgrau straps
It only takes 2 or 3 collectors with deep pockets who are looking for the same strap
and the bidding ends up high on German EBay .
Mike is a serious collector of shoulder straps and he also has a very strong Jager Batl
strap collection
After looking for years for the one strap that to need to finish off your collection
you do what you have to
I have bid what I thought was a high winning bid on EBay only to be topped
by at least 2 snipers in the last 10 seconds
Steve

Steve is correct. It only takes two to make for a stupid price paid for the one strap you are looking for. I paid stupid money for the Garde-Schutzen but was very lucky the Garde-Jager was mis-identified and listed in an out of the way category on ebay. These two straps being Jager gray-green and belonging to elite units make them much wanted by Jager collectors.

You really did get a great piece! I was considering buying it myself but I'm trying to be good and focus on my unfinished displays.

When Mike bids he is very hard to beat . I know first hand !
Mike you can take the cost of those 2 straps
add them together and divide by 2
that gives you a better per strap cost
Steve

I had a collector friend some years ago in Cincy
That was the old OVMS days of shows at the Draw Bridge
Stan Wacksman a Jewish doctor who collected spiked helmets
and he liked flags
Stan once said to me that as a doctor he made good money
but was always broke because there was a nice officers helmet to
buy for his collection .
He want on to say that collecting was a "mild form of mental illness "
like an addiction
Stan and his wife later got a divorce .
He sold his collection to pay his wife off .
True story
Steve McFarland

Back