Jager zu Pferde

Grimmkel

For ease of reply I will be including a more general question also. I have been researching JzP for a while now, and still have yet to find a definitive publication or complete source of detailed information (for purchase or online.) The particular regiment I am looking at is number 1.

I have a JzP 1st Regt OR *issued* KD89 1914 stamped to Alex Coppel, fully marked with weapon number 79.
In 1918, 1JzP had her squadrons spread out, 1esk was in the 10th Ers. Div, 2esk was 9 div V AC, 3esk was 10 div, V AC, 4esk was 119 independent division. This places them on the Western front.

1 When JzP dismounted and served as infantry, did they retain their distinctive helmets and swords? Did their uniforms change? What sort of sword hangar and belt was worn to carry the weapon? (Ersatz uniforms, using kurissier equipment, etc.)
2 What engagements did the 1JzP participate in, since their standing up?
3 For a Sergeant, which I would classify as an NCO, what faustriemen would be needed? I've been to Ron's threads so many times (Which were great help) and got much information with the help of Dale, who I've seen on many forums in my quest for information. I believe I am looking for a an all white tassel and knot, leather slide and the checkered patterned leather strap?
4 Based on waffen nr 79, could this indicate which squadron it could have belonged? Or any accuracy of squadron?

I also have a Reserve 2nd JzP FW Holler 1915 issued enlisted KD89.
5 Would this also need a leather strap, leather slide, white tassel with (IIRC) red knot-part?
6 What is the history of the 2nd reserve JzP? Was it also from Posen?

As a departure from this I also have a 1915 Bavarian KD89 enlisted issued weapon marked to 2nd Chevaulegers 4th squadron, weapon number 107. History of this item in 1918, this particular squadron was divisional cavalry for 5th Bav Div, of the III Bavarian Army Corps, rated as 1st class, but not one of the best of Bavarian cavalry unit.

Additionally, I have a Prussian KD89 model weapon (my play toy) which is quite a curiosity to me. A lighter brown than all the other's bakelite handle with bright silver fittings (instead of the dark patina hard to tell from the handle on the other ones I have) the handguard seems to not have the same patina or shine the other true weapons have. This one seems thinner, edges more scuffed, and looks like the 'surface' silver is rusting/coming off, almost exactly like other presentation KD89 models I've seen. But it is strange, as the blade is heavy and solid like the others. There is no spine marking, no crowns, dates, etc. The makers mark (Yes there is one, strangely) E&F Horster Solingen... Everything is proper size, length, dimension, weight... BUT on the handguard, where it sweeps into the bottom, there is one of those narrow slits for a retaining strap, I guess...

7 Does this sound authentic/original?
8 Anyone else collect/seek out JzP items? What is a good grouping? I currently have 1Jzp sword with scabbard and an authentic troedel from the battle of Arras, the 2jzp reserve sword, 1915 German stirrups, 1920s German spurs, the headpiece is en route. Thinking what else would be left is blouse of the uniform for an enlisted NCO, to match the other items.
Any and all information about the JzP1 is greatly welcome.
(Once I receive my 1916 OR JzP pickelhaube I will have more questions I am sure!)

John
1962717_10151910734150670_1748946139_n.jpg

1236526_10151910732595670_342140271_n.jpg
1904096_10151910732535670_810349811_n.jpg

Welcome to the forum! In my opinion the guy that knows the most about JzP. is Marshall. Better question I think for him is what does he not know about Jzp? I will forward your questionn list to him and see if he has time to respond to it.

Based on our current research I can answer the first one.

When JzP dismounted and served as infantry, did they retain their distinctive helmets and swords? Did their uniforms change?

Yes. What's really interesting at the start of the war is that they also retained their lance. the carbine had a bayonet lug but the trooper had no bayonet.

Welcome again.

V/R
Joe

Such a fast reply for such an old forum. I think I've been scouring this site for 3 years or so, just last week figuring out how to get activated to actually get on here. I've been to (i thought) every website, from your site, your site you put up to sell items, Kaiser's bunker and lots of others! I can say I've been a big fan, and in particular if Dale or Glenn see this I thank you for your work on this and all 100 other forums I've seen you on.

Thanks for forwarding my question, my thirst for knowledge on this subject is never ending.

It is great to be on this board! I am stationed in Guam right now, but if I was stateside, I would certainly have gone to SOS... Quite jealous.

1005365_10151657978630670_730863943_n.jpg

Here is part of an email:

There are 21 pages of information and photos in Johan Somer's new book, Volume Three, dedicated to Jaeger zu Pferde, including many color photos of uniforms, helmets and equipment from my former collection, plus 65 original photos. Your new guy should get this book. Still, I humbly think there isn't another book out there that deals with JZP in this depth. Please pass along this recommendation your new guy.

I'm not an edged weapon guy, so I can't address most of his questions about swords. The information he seeks about sword and bayonet knots can be found in Volume One of Johan's new series, not the old one. I think there was only the 1st Reserve Jaeger zu Pferde Regiment, not a second one. I'll have to check Kraus for more formation info.

I have checked a couple of my sources that deal with JZP, including the 1920's "Deutsche Kavallerie in Krieg und Frieden" that discusses all 110 cavalry regiments from their inception through the early Weimer era. Not much more info in there about the 1st JZP Regiment. Hugo Schultz' Prussian Cavalry book actually has more than the original book, except for its early days of existence and in the war. I once owned the 1st JZP regimental history, which I read from cover to cover. This guy should endeavor to find that book. The histories are available on CD-Roms or DVDs. If he reads German, your guy will learn all he needs to know about the 1st JZP Regiment. I found the regimental history to be very good.

Once the troopers were converted to dismounted cavalry, by the 1917-18 era he asks about, the soldiers would have been wearing steel helmets and Blusen, if not the older Waffenrock. Initially, they would have continued wearing the lobstertail helmet in about 1915-16, but later changed to trench helmets. Swords fell away in about 1915 and were replaced by short bayonets, even among cavalry troops still mounted. Lots of good photos of dismounted cavalry in Johan's Volume Three.

So both the Somers book and Hugo's are on the way. Also found this website;

http://www.military-books.de.vu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ordered a downloadable chunk of info on 1JzP.

In a few days I'll compile some sort of a research project of what I find out from these new three sources. Thanks again Joe, and large thanks to Marshall D, I wish I could get that regimental history he's talking about, I haven't been able to find such an item.

PS my JzP EM 1915 'haube came in, will get it from the post monday. Very excited for my first pickelhaube.

I already have the bug for swords, whenever I see an enlisted KD89 I do my few hours of going through my books to rationalize why I want and need it…

Thankfully I only go for enlisted/lower NCO equipment, focusing on cavalry / JzP…

But I got what I think Marshall was talking about, it's 444 pages of regimental history from beginning to end, and includes 18 pdf pages of maps and a whole lot of photos of the regiment. \:D/

Going to start the translation… ](*,)

Here is the table of contents for this 444-page pdf. I will be translating some of it to put on here as reference. If anyone is interested in more please let me know.

The Peacetime years 1901-1914 3
The world war 1914-18 21
-The regiment from war's beginning until its final days in July 1916 21
-mobilization and transport on 7 August 1914 23
-The 2nd and 3rd squadron on patrol 31 July to 7 August 1914 28
-The ride to the deployment zone and the western front 7 to 10 August 1914 33
-The deployment to the Westfront on 17 August 1914 35
-The advance to the bay at Ethe 18 to 21 August 1914 40
-The battle at Ethe 22 August 1914 44
-The chase after the battle at Ethe 23 bis 26 August 1914 56
-Back on the Lorraine front 26 to 29 August 1914 66
-Again at the right flank of the 5th Army 30 August to 1 September 1914 68
-The march to Woevre-Ebene 2 to 6 september 1914 70
-Against the fort Maas, South of Verdun 6 to 12 september 1914 77
-Back behind the Orne 13 to 17 september 1914 88
-Second assault on the fort Maas South of Verdun 18 to 30 september 1914 94
-Static warfare on the Orne october 1914 to october 1916 100
--1914 - 100
--1915 - 112
--1916 - 127

-The Regimental staff october 1916 until war's end 139
-The 4th squadron 25 march 1915 to war's end 145
-The 1st squadron 26 July 1916 to war's end 215
-The 2nd squadron 14 september 1916 to war's end 241
-The 3rd squadron 5 october 1916 to war's end 283
-The mobile ersatz squadron from war's beginning to nov 1916 321

Home Again 369
In posen 371
In Border Patrol 381
The change in the Reichswehr 384

I would be quite interested if there is anything in that document that explains the "why" that regiment operated with the fifth Army. The 2H KK in the center make absolutely no sense to me. The left flank HKK can only be explained in my mind if there was going to be a left-wing operation. But these guys… Why? I talk a lot about force distribution in "Great War Dawning" and maybe there is some insight as to why that is/was. Thanks! :study: :study:

So this helmet has some strong ghost behind the wappen so it seems quite original, the removeable spike sits firmly on the mount, very nice shell except for a rough patch of faint rust. Green paint still on the underside of the bill, the liner seems original, is pretty fragile and has crumbling black surface color. Maker stamped on the inside of the shell, all 4 bolts have nuts on them, all seemingly original.

It's nice and solid!

2 JzP KD89 enlisted weapons, an enlisted 1915 pickelhaube... What else can I do for my grouping?
Need maybe a uniform for 1-5 regiment JzP...

Or a saddle :cool:

Back