Jagers in WW1

Stahlhelm said:
This Edelweiss is the type worn by the Alpenkorps, but has a gold crown added. Could this connect it somehow to the Bav. Leibregiment?
Not that I am aware of, at least, not during the war. A commemorative post-war piece perhaps? I believe Chip Minx has one of these, not sure if he has ID'd it yet.

The Kaiserschuetzen, who I mentioned earlier as being authorized to wear an edelweiss on their collar tabs, wore a rooster feather plume (Spielhahnstoss) on the left side of their cap.

The KAR 98 A was introduced for genral use in 1908 and in 1911 the Kar 98 AZ was introduced bith were issued to Calvary , Cyclist, Sharpsooter's MG troops Train Zepplin ground crews Arttilery and pioneer.s The difference between the A and AZ is mainlt the noze cap and the site. The trops complained mainly of 2 thing's the kick from the shorter barrel and the new sight made them crank ther head up moer and expose it.
There was one more nation that had riflemen and no influence from anyoe else . During the napoleomic period the portagese had Cocodores very colorful , not tradtional rifleman uniform's .
Stilll looking forward to the Napoleonic period kit .The Baker is my favorite rifle of that era. I have seen a couple in collection's up here .
Mark

I will post my collecton asap in a new thread, the earliest I can get to it is Saturday though. The Baker was an interesting rifle as the inventor was a friend of the Prince of Wales it was adopted over some other rifles. The German jagers in British service constantly complained about it, as they recieved better rifles in their home arsenals and from the units of their homeland. The Germans removed the rear sight and bayonet bar, the 4th battalion of the 60th Regiment is actually documented in doing. the rear sight of the one in my collection has been removed. The Portugese units were paid, trained, and staffed by the Brittish, they were reffered to as Cazadores. They wore brown uniforms similar to the Austrian field artillery. It is believed that the Hesse's had the best rifles made by Pystor. Hesse Hannau was the first country to adopted a rifle with a bayonet bar/lug back in the 1770's. Austria was defintley the most innovative weapons designer and producer at the time, as they fielded many different types od new weapons ideas, including rockets and a rifle that could fire 12 rounds a minute. The Austrians also adopted a cartridge that had the ball tied externally to the cartridge instead of inside that facilitated quicker loading. They also used the Prussian innovation of a waterproof flash pan covering and conical touch hole which not only kept water out allowing the weapons to be fired in fould weather but facilitated loading quicker as the solider did not have to prime the pan with the cartridge but instead rammed all powder down the barrel and primed the pan by a simple twist to the right. It is said that the average Austrian infantry man could fire 6 rounds per minute. It is ineresting to note that most of todays flintlock statistics come from English sources who at the time had some of the amongst poorest shots in all the continet and the cheapest, India pattern brown bess compared to the finer firearms of the Germanic and French people. For all the service men out there it would be compared to using an M16 A2 against a Hk (G36 or other model) or a Sig (550 or 552) or an Steyr Aug.

zipperheads9 said:
OHH YEAHHH :( ,Saturday we gotts ta wait till Saturday for the presious.
Very sad now
mark :cry:

That is fine. Mark has an appointment anyways. heh heh :lol: We are putting on a display in Cambridge, Ontario on Saturday. He won't be near his computer.

Cliff :D

zipperheads9 said:
The KAR 98 A was introduced for genral use in 1908 and in 1911 the Kar 98 AZ was introduced bith were issued to Calvary , Cyclist, Sharpsooter's MG troops Train Zepplin ground crews Arttilery and pioneer.s The difference between the A and AZ is mainlt the noze cap and the site. The trops complained mainly of 2 thing's the kick from the shorter barrel and the new sight made them crank ther head up moer and expose it.
There was one more nation that had riflemen and no influence from anyoe else . During the napoleomic period the portagese had Cocodores very colorful , not tradtional rifleman uniform's .
Stilll looking forward to the Napoleonic period kit .The Baker is my favorite rifle of that era. I have seen a couple in collection's up here .
Mark

Mark ; The Kar98a was adopted in 1907 , and was never listed in any german military publication with an 'AZ' as part of it's nomenclature before during or after WW1. The AZ thingy was a supposition stated by Walter's early books and has since been accepted mistakenly as official german nomenclature. I have a 1909 Amberg kar98a ( Bavarian heavy cav marked ) and a 1911 erfurt Kar98a ( marked to a train lazarette ) , as well as some wartime dated 98a's and all have exactly the same features other than the 1916 and later models having dismount discs and grooves in the stocks.
I had a 98a buttplate marked to a mounted Jaeger unit - was real cool , gave it to a buddy whom runs the gewehr98.com website.
I have a very nice 1916 Spandau gew98 marked to what most I have asked thinks is a Jaeger unit marking - 4.R.J.3.K. Anyone have or have seen a bayonet marked like this ?. A buddy in alabama has a 1915 erfurt gew98 marked almost identically on it's disc.

A little addendum I forgot.
The snaildrum magazine was minimally unreliable , and as such I don't think it coupled with the P08 pistols of any model would have been seriously used by assault troops.
The very few MP18's that reached the front all were made to use the 32 round snail drum magazine. All I could ever conclude was simply the germans used what was already in the pipeline as an expediant coupled with they apparently held little promise in the MP18's effectiveness.
I believe it was in either Will Bird's book or Stephen Graham's that an officer found an MP18 on a dead boche and carried it for a spell until he was wounded. I remember the text as the dead boche had tumbled into a latrine sink and the officer whom took it from the dead boche thereafter stunk like a latrine pit from liberating that weapon.

GEW98, I have a photo of a small German unit armed with LP08s and carrying TM08s at the waist. They are posing with some captured French soldiers. A friend in Europe has a somewhat similar photo of a different group.

I have fired thousands of rounds through LP08's using the snails and have never encountered a problem. I have also had occasion to fire an MP18 with the TM08 and found the function to be flawless although the balance of the machine pistol left much to be desired.

The AZ thingy was a supposition stated by Walter's early books and has since been accepted mistakenly as official german nomenclature.

Gew98

Thanks for clearing that one up, you see this all over the place.

Back