Japanese Nambu Pistol Holster

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
Another holster restitch, this time one from Japan WW2. There are 3 areas which need new stitching, one loop on the back, the flap covering the inside magazine/ammo pouch (??) and approx 4.5"along the diagonal seam line on the outside edge of the holster. Some pics:

FRONT

REVERSE, the leather loop with brass ring on the left, is the one that needs restitching.

CLOSE UP SHOWING STITCH LINE THAT WILL BE REDONE

INSIDE VIEW showing small pouch with flap.

Obviously, the flap needs help.
I am coming back after the first stitch pass, filling in the alternate holes. You can see, that I am using thick linen natural coloured thread and a big Texas style needle to match :) . You have to have the correct thickness of thread or the restoration is too obvious, most of these holsters were stitched with "natural" thread. Over time the holster was probably polished with boot polish or just got dirty with time so the thread goes dark. Obviously, the original colour of this holster was black with natural white coloured stitching.

The completed flap. Brown shoe polish was applied to the new thread so that it would blend in with the original.

The back loop being fixed. I always leave as much of the old thread as is still holding....I fill in the holes where the thread has completely rotted out.

The loop restoration has been finished and a coat of brown polish has been put on the new thread, to blend it in with the original thread. I don't have completed pics of the diagonal outside seam because it is not done yet. I did not notice the third problem area until I had finished the other 2, I thought the project was done and then I got looking closer at that outside seam. Here is a pic of the problem:
. I do not look for restoration work.....sometimes it is very frustrating and a complete pain in the ass, but once I discover something hidden like this it has to be fixed. There are not many people in the world who have the skills, knowledge, equipment and thread to do this so, it has to be done.

Back