Jocks' ventilated rear spine problem

Hello all,
Thank you Chas for your observations on the wappen Plate.
Also thanks to Joe for his very detailed disection of the dreaded helmet.
I got so fed up with it all, I pulled the whole thing apart. This is the first time in 26 years or so that the guts have seen the light of day.
Well the wappen plate is smaller (as Chas surmised), than the big one on the other helmet, which has been stated as correct . It is 11cm wide and about 10 cms high.
It appears very old. Bearing in mind when it was purchased and how little I paid for it, I just cannot see anyone going to the bother of faking the plate. It would demand much input of time, labour and money for little if no return. That is not a German trait ! I paid about DM 160 for the Helmet at a time when the D Mark was about between 5 & 7 to the £. So at worst the thing cost me about 30 quid or $60 in your money now. Only a lunatic would spend time and effort to "make " a plate, when these plates were readily available loose. If only I knew then, what I now know !!!!
Joe, reference your reservations about the authenticity of the spike and its base. Once off, I could see that it looked ancient indeed when viewed from the underside. There appeared to be a Copper ring around the hole in the bottem of the spike base. I got to work with the Brasso and once cleaned ( sort of ) I could make our the following inscription stampted around the ring..." AWES Marke IL69 (partialy off true so difficult to read) M (possibly E) S as in " MES" or" MS" BERLIN. How about that for a find ! The perlring scrubbed up very well with a tooothbrush and is now much more defined and clearer. I think that the problem you had , was more to do with my bad photograghy, than the perlring itself. I also noted that the base has a cutaway for the rear spine to fit under, which the other helmets base does not. The whole thing just has this "feel" of being much older than one may first think. The spike has only 2 vent holes. Around the base ring in the most beutifull small engraving like a little rope design. This is similar, but maybe not quite identical to, the design around the spike. What thoughts on this do you have?
(This may also be a case for Tony and Kaiser to worry a bone about !)
I also dicovered that the chinscales which are identical outwardly, are different on the inside! The whole thing just seems to get worse and more complicated . Perhaps I should cut my losses and chuck the whole lot in the bin and move on.
Regards
Jock

Jock said:
Perhaps I should cut my losses and chuck the whole lot in the bin and move on.

No-way! [-X What you have is a nice helmet that needs some work. It will never be an "un-touched" example, but you paid nothing for it. When I was in Germany, it was 4 DM to the Cdn dollar and I was a rich Cpl. :drunken:

You need to place a 'wanted" ad here and watch ebay for a correct M95 OR's spike, M91 lugs, leather chinstrap and a nice line eagle. E-mail me at home through my web site and I can help you with the chicken, I have a nice original one here. I can supply you with a fake leather chinstrap until you find an original. (I am interested in your little chicken Wappen. I collect these). Plus, you can sell your officers spike and base, or keep it as a spare. Your helmet just needs some work and it will look great. Tony

PS. Regarding unit info for IR19 etc, go to this page and look at the charts at the bottom. They list uniform details for ALL Infantry units. http://www.kaisersbunker.com/gtp/

Hello Jock:

I echo Tony's sentiments regarding your helmet. The individual parts you will eventually swap out are worth more than your original investment. Everything I see can be corrected with a bit of patience and little difficulty. I think it's a helmet worth saving.

I was a bit late ringing in on this thread, but I like what I see.

Keep the faith.

Chas.

Well, yet again I am indebted to you Guys,
I have received some very sideways looks from my Frau !!
Get rid of it ! ... is the cry. You are spending far too much time on that rubbish. It is covered it crud, dust, spiders webs and crap and is taking up far too much of your time on that internet thingy.......
Oh! Dear. Just because it's our Anniverary she has to take it out on a poor dumb chicken wappen....
OOps , gotta sign off !

Jock

Life begins at 60 !

Jock said:
Well, yet again I am indebted to you Guys,
I have received some very sideways looks from my Frau !!
Get rid of it ! ... is the cry. You are spending far too much time on that rubbish. It is covered it crud, dust, spiders webs and crud and is taking up far too much of your time on that internet thingy.......
Oh! Dear. Just because it's our Anniverary she has to take it out on a poor dumb chicken wappen....
OOps , gotta sign off !

Jock

Life begins at 60 !
Jock,

Just remember, that's what wives are for, to think any hobby you might grow to love is a silly waste of time! :D

Also, in addition to what Tony said about the regiment..........

Infanterie-Regiment von Coubière (2. Posensches) Nr.19, founded 1 July 1813, stationed at Görlitz with the II Battalion at Lauban, in 1914 it was part of the V Armee Korps.

Joe,
There should be 8 pictures taken in daylight.
Funny how the wappen plate seems yellower in the pics, than it does for real. Could it have been guilded and then worn off through useage or polishing?
You guys have probably seen this phenomena before, rather like being able to see makers marks in daylight but not in electric light.
Obviously you have to be bloody clever to be a member of the Pickelhaubes cohort!!!
Regard from Jock

I am surprised that no one has commented on the split brads that are holding down this spike. They are very unusual if you take a close look. I ran into a set of these on a helmet years ago and I phoned Randy T about them. They are an old style of split brad and perfectly legit. Characteristically, they have longer and finer brass prongs which we see in these pics and a different sort of hat shaped top to them. This is a great helme Jock. The sale of the parts that you have will easily buy what you need to make this right and you should have a couple of hundred $ left over. Brian

I am surprised that no one has commented on the split brads that are holding down this spike.
I did!

1.jpg

2.jpg

Great wappen but I still think not from this helmet.
Spike is real but not from this helmet.
rear spine...... Does the shell have multiple lug holes under where the spine was?

More pictures now Jock. Does there look like some sort of primative stitching under the spine? Like this?
T_29.JPG

I am still looking for it to be an older reworked corpus. If it was an 1860 it could have had a cruciform base. The mounting hardware of an 1867 wappen conversion COULD have led to the slits. The same conversion would have provided a round base for the spike. Later adaptions COULD have led to the slits being depot filled as these are. Small holes for the rosettes COULD mean a strait bolt. Now the stitches of the corpus should have been rotated 180 degrees and they are not so maybe this line of thought is wrong. A big question is what model are you trying to change this into?

Dear Joe,
Once again thank for posting the Photos.
To answer your questions. Yes, it does have a line of holes down the back.
2x on the rear neckguard. Then working upwards A long hole (about I inch) which has a circular hole at the top making it like an enlongated keyhole.Then 2 x holes 3/4 inch apart, then the hole for the Brad, then a big hole in the centre. No stiching at all.
It is my intention to return it to the ex-depot condition as per the BAV 1915 stamp, when it was re-worked into an 1895 Helm.
So far, I have all the bits save for the 5 x domed Brads ie. 4 for the spike base and 1 for the rear spine bottom, which is where I came in, if you remember !

joerookery said:
I am still looking for it to be an older reworked corpus. If it was an 1860 it could have had a cruciform base. // The mounting hardware of an 1867 wappen conversion COULD have led to the slits. //Small holes for the rosettes COULD mean a strait bolt.

Lots of possibilities huh? it could have been an M1860 converted, but that would show tell-tale signs of Wappen lug holes on the back of the helmet.

As well, don't rule out that this legitimate issued helmet was converted after 1918 to a Police helmet by placing a cruciform base on it. Why not?The Army wasn't using them anymore.

The M67 mounts for the sliders actually did not result in a "slit" to the front of the shell. Just tiny holes where brass prongs stuck from the back of the "male" mount went through.

Some M1891 mounts do not have pins to stabilize the mount from turning. Some have two, some have one. So I believe that small holes does not rule out M91 mounts being the original mounted fixture.

Jock now has an original M95 spike, M95 Preußen eagle, M91 posts, and a replica M91 strap coming. He needs Kokarden and split brads for the spike base, and hopefully someday, an original M91 strap.

Back