Jonathan Pierson Loree

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
As some of you may know, the Loree family has its roots here in North America beginning in approx 1640 when the first Loree settled on Long Island. He came from Cornwall UK. They subsequently moved to New Jersey in the Morristown area. I often tease my American friends when we are at the SOS about their beer, cowboy hats, guns and whatever else I can think of. It is all in good fun and for example, I have often told James LeBrasseur, that he and his brother Paul need to return to their "motherland" Quebec :D . However, even us Canuck Loree's now know where we originally came from and that the family has spread all across this continent.
The spelling of the name has many variations....Loree, Lory, Lore etc as people tended to spell phonetically back in the day. Personally, I have been labelled Mr Laurie on many student tests and typically on my first day of classes I would always print my name on the blackboard and tell them how to pronounce it...Loree as in "tree". I have even been known to give one bonus mark on a History test for a correct spelling of it. Anyway, I digress but there is a connection to this post.
Recently, I was told by my 1st cousin in Manitoba D. Loree that we had a Civil War Loree and that there was a Blog about him on the internet. There are 8 letters from Jonathan to his wife which are posted on that site. This Civil War connection came as no real surprise as we have a Revolutionary War Loree veteran as well. So here is the information on my ancestor Jonathan Pierson Loree who is buried at Arlington VA Sect. 27, Site 611.
Jonathan was a stone mason and volunteered at age 34 in 1864. He was obviously older than most recruits in this War. We think that like many, he volunteered to receive the Bounty Money that was paid upon attestation. He became a private in the 1st NJ Infantry Co. K. He fought in the Wilderness campaign and was wounded in the right shoulder May 12, 1864 at Spotsylvania "the Bloody Angle". He was transported to Carver Hospital in Wash DC where he died May 30, 1864.
His nephew John L. Loree born 1839 joined the 7th NJ Volunteer Inf Regt Co K. Sept 15, 1861. He survived the War and was discharged as a Cpl. Feb. 20, 1865. There are still Lore's living today in New Jersey and my Manitoba cousin has contact with them.
Here is a photo of Jonathan:
JPL-L.jpg

Obviously, this is a pre painted background and figure......you just stuck your face in a hole and the picture was taken. In conclusion, the name on Jonathan's original Arlington tombstone was spelled Lory. His father had to contact the Graves Commission and tell them to correct that mistake with a new "stone". Even in the 1860's, our name was spelled wrong :)

Ahhh, yes Sandy you are using the European spelling!! :D To my knowledge there are no Loree's living in Germany.....not yet! :thumb up:

Hmmm...I was just thinking...maybe I should stop teasing James, Paul, Gus, Joe and Randy at the SOS....No Way!! It's too much fun :lol:

Pretty cool Brian, something to research further I think!!!

And as far as the kidding goes, no problem, keep it coming.

James

Ha! You always manage to hold your own James. :) BTW I have not forgotten my promise to bring some Labatt's 50 Beer with me so be prepared.

Back