JR 119 & 126

The Lee Valley Shellac and Lacquer thinner is a blend of ethanol and isobutylene alcohol for thinning shellac based products and shellac flakes. The interesting thing is it is not for use with nitrocellulose lacquer. 😳 ???

All I know Bill, is that George Birringer told me years ago that he used the natural shellac flakes and that was good enough for me. I saw examples of crap finish jobs using the pre made box store “jug” sh.t which basically in my opinion, ruined helmets. I have never used it. As a long time bar band rock guitarist, I know that the “nitro” was used on all those early 50’s-60’s Fenders and Gibsons however, it is highly flammable! They are using it on higher priced guitars today as supposedly the wood breathes and delivers better tone. However, Clapton would sound like Clapton even on a $200 guitar.

Brian,

Here is my other 119. A brother to yours! Identified to boot.

John

Attachments

• IMG_20190128_203707661.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 11,528
Photos of the completed JR 126. Work done...restitch both visors, provide one original trim brad. resolder split brad on spine, clean all fittings, refinish areas of missing lacquer, apply polish to entire helmet to blend in new finish.
IMG_0773-L.jpg

IMG_0774-L.jpg

IMG_0775-L.jpg

IMG_0776-L.jpg

This helmet was dried out/shrunk over 100+ years and as a result the brass visor trim was too long when I tried to put it back on. Consequently, approx .25 inches had to be cut off one end of the trim and a new hole drilled for the trim brad. I do not believe in putting extra holes in helmets and I always strive for the restoration to be hidden as much as possible. Thus, cut the trim, drill a new hole and the brad covers the cut end. The side view showing the gap between spine and shell illustrates how much this helmet shrank over the years.

Absolutely amazing work Brian!!! You are indeed an artist! I can't wait to get it back together with it's uniform!

John

Brian and All!

Here is the fruit of your labor! Wow!

I can't thank you enough!

John

Attachments

• IMG_20191129_103042009.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 10,745
Back