JR 125 The Helmet of Anton Maier

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
It is rare in my experience, to find a clearly hand printed name of a soldier/owner in a pickelhaube of any kind. Sometimes we have a cloth laundry tag glued into a shell. On other occaisions, some officer may scrawl his name up in the shell in the old German script which can be very hard to read. Anton's name is clear and his helmet is also regt marked. This piece is in excellent condition with the only problem being both visors need restitching. The pictures:
IMG_1393-XL.jpg

Most of the cotton thread has rotted away. The wappen is tight to the shell, factory original! :D
IMG_1390-XL.jpg

As can be seen, the finish on the shell is remarkable for an issued helmet.
IMG_1392-XL.jpg

IMG_1388-XL.jpg

Even the liner is in excellent shape! :thumb up: I would rate the condition of this helmet as one below the "Bond Prize" category where the piece was never issued or used. This photo also shows us the typical shrink effect which causes the visor trim to pucker/bend. In this case, we have bends in 3 places. The shell is clearly inked stamped 55 (cm) but there has been some inward shrinkage. Maier printed his name on the front visor.
IMG_1394-X3.jpg

Imprinted in the leather above the name is R125 F.I 2 Komp. As we shall see, the rear visor is ink stamped 125 R and XII BA which are correct.
IMG_1407-XL.jpg

This helme has never been messed with until now. The thin stamped wappen has been soldered so that one loop is about 2 mm short of it's hole so that it has to snap into place tight to the shell! Note...the knights helme and crown are angled up to accommodate the spike base. Stitching the front visor, I had to remove the wappen as I kept snagging my hand and thread on this crown which is very delicate. :( . Obviously I have to remove the rear spine to stitch the back visor. Usually, I can just remove two of the spike brads, and get enough space to remove the spine...not in the case because no fittings had ever been removed on this piece....factory fresh!
IMG_1401-XL.jpg

An interior shot showing again no fittings have been touched.
IMG_1405-XL.jpg

I have taken to using the spine lines on the shell to line up the visor for restitching. This I find is much easier than starting at the end of the visor and counting across to pin it. Find the middle hole between those lines, line up the corresponding hole in the visor and pin them together. Next count 12 holes left, insert pin...12 right, pin and so on until you reach the end tip of the visor. If you do this, then hold the helmet up to the light you will see light coming through the holes as they have been cleaned out and are now matched up! :thumb up: On a front visor, I look for one stitch hole in the middle which is slightly out of line with the rest, something different, even a mark on the shell. This is where my first pin will go . Once pinned check to see the visor holes on the tips and the shell match perfectly. The helmet was finished today, more pics tomorrow.

Very nice piece. I have a soft spot for things from Württemberg (like my wife, I just thought of a joke comparing her to the helmet, Comments about shape and loosing stitches, but she would kill me if I said them).

Yes aicusv, best to leave that one alone :? . We continue.....
IMG_1420-X3.jpg

Front visor pinned, size 55 cm.
IMG_1421-X3.jpg

Completed rear stitch line.
IMG_1423-XL.jpg

The ghost wappen, 100+ years of dust and dirt!
IMG_1428-XL.jpg

Completed front with wappen and all fittings put back on. :)
IMG_1429-XL.jpg

Everything looks good, back to normal. :thumb up:
IMG_1433-XL.jpg

A photo comparison of my M15 and the restored helmet. My spike is non removable and the helmet is larger than the other....probably a 57 cm.
Note also: The crown of my wappen does not extend over the spike base while the other wappen on the smaller helmet does. This would suggest that the manufacturer was placing larger wappen on smaller helmets.
IMG_1434-XL.jpg

Liner comparison, mine is the old dyed style with a few torn fingers. My helmet has seen a lot more use, no Regt. markings can be seen with the exception of an imprinted makers name on rear visor.
IMG_1437-X2.jpg

Hi Brian,

That looks really great! You've done another fantastic job of restoration! =D> :bravo:

Thanks for doing this project! Your work, as always, is superb, and second to none! =D> :bravo:

It's nice to see a comparison between two different sized helmets. Thanks for doing that!

Thanks again!

Alan

Thank you Alan for trusting me with your helmet. It was a pleasure to work on a piece that is in such great condition, this made the job easy. :thumb up:

Hello,

I tried to use the excellent 2-"Suchergebnisse" links that Philippe provided to us, and unfortunately I had no luck in searching for my Anton Maier of J.R. 125. There are 134 "Maier" listed in J.R. 125. None of them were Anton that I can see.

It seems there were hundreds of Anton Maier in numerous regiments and different states during the war. I did not find that to be discouraging. And many that were in J.R. 124., and some that were in J.R. 126, and the other Württemberg J.R.'s. But none that I could find in J.R. 125, unfortunately.

The main problem is that I do not know which Württemberg "Liste" or Units made up the J.R. 125. There are several 3-digit numbered units that were Württemberg, but they have no corresponding J.R. listed with them on this excellent data reference base. In other words, there are no "Reg. o.a." listed or shown to correspond with "Württemberg 580", or "Württemberg 599", or 571, 576, 586, 690, 626, 690, 713, 453, and many more units that have no shown attachment to any of the Württemberg J.R.'s.

Does anyone have a list of units that were in J.R. 125?

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide, I appreciate it!

Best Regards,

Alan

Last edited:
Hello,

I tried to use the excellent 2-"Suchergebnisse" links that Philippe provided to us, and unfortunately I had no luck in searching for my Anton Maier of J.R. 125. There are 134 "Maier" listed in J.R. 125. None of them were Anton that I can see.

It seems there were hundreds of Anton Maier in numerous regiments and different states during the war. I did not find that to be discouraging. And many that were in J.R. 124., and some that were in J.R. 126, and the other Württemberg J.R.'s. But none that I could find in J.R. 125, unfortunately.

The main problem is that I do not know which Württemberg "Liste" or Units made up the J.R. 125. There are several 3-digit numbered units that were Württemberg, but they have no corresponding J.R. listed with them on this excellent data reference base. In other words, there are no "Reg. o.a." listed or shown to correspond with "Württemberg 580", or "Württemberg 599", or 571, 576, 586, 690, 626, 690, 713, 453, and many more units that have no shown attachment to any of the Württemberg J.R.'s.

Does anyone have a list of units that were in J.R. 125?

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide, I appreciate it!

Best Regards,

Alan
Where would I find those links? I am trying to do some research of my own on an individual and would always be open to new sources

Here you’ll finde the „Verlustlisten“ of ww1:
Here are some digital „Friedens- und Kriegs-Stammrollen“:
And the best is unfortunately not for free. But if you like investigations it is a great archive:
Thank you very much! I have the records from the Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg - Online-Findmittel but am still hunting for more. Maybe I'll have to look into just paying for these sites since that's where all the info seems to be. I've found mentions of him in a hamburg newspaper and the Deutsche Reiterhefte. Illustrierte Zeitschrift für das Reit-und Fahrwesen, Mitteilungsblatt des Reichsinspekteurs für Reit- und Fahrausbildung. 6.Jahrgang 1941, Heft 22 but unfortunately everything is behind some kind of pay wall.

Back