JR 52

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I have had this uberzug from JR 52 for many years and it is in great shape. I managed to purchase a foto of JR 52 soldaten wearing their numbered Uberzugs as well. I will post that at a later date when I have scanned it. I would encourage fellow members to do the same if they have a foto of their numbered uberzug being worn.

There is a leather cone stitched up inside the spike top in order to prevent the spike tip from breaking through the cloth.

I think that I have only owned 2 covers in my years of collecting.
One that is gone was a Hessian I R 117 . The numbers were in red
and the correct helmet was under it . I moved this helmet when I when to
collecting only Prussian . It went to Jack B. who then turned it to AG M
as I saw the helmet and cover on one of their calendars.
If I have an old photo I will post it .
I still have I R 88 with numbers in green .
Thanks for the new topic

Steve

This whole subject is an interesting can of worms. I made a stab at this years ago which is still worth reading in my opinion.
http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/Uberzug.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like this helmet will finally go on the block this year.
This example shows a lot of well known inconsistencies in these helmets. For instance, it is from a reserve unit, but there is no Landwehr cross on the helmet wappen. This entire unit is not addressed by Lacarde which seems to be an unfortunate common occurrence is his accurate but incomplete listings..
cover%20front.jpg

front.jpg

http://www.pickelhauben.net/pickelhaube/HessianOR.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The numbers are felt and hand stitched on to the uberzug. Reread your excellent article Joe. Let's hope we can stir up some additional information and examples on this thread to add to our knowledge base.

Nice uberzug

I always find these things hard to determen as original

The artificial ageing is so good these days you cant see the difrence

Jonas

A post card photo of IR 52 veterans wearing a variety of uberzugs:

I see a private purchase on the crazy looking soldat with the Mauser on his lap, numerous M15 styles with chin strap slits, an R 52, plain unmarked covers and in the back row 4th from the left, an uberzug similar to mine. I would say, from the looks of these guys," the 1,000 yard stares" that they have definitely seen action in the trenches.

Back