JR 73 trooper Helmet

FRONTENAC

Hello all,

What do you think about the issue stamp we can see inside this JR73 helmet? Is it accurate to see a white issue stamp for a M1895/99 tooper helmet of this regiment in 1900?A.JPGH.JPGI.JPG

Last edited:
I saw this JR73 helmet, and asked myself the same question. We do not expect this kind of marking in such a helmet. There are, however, other examples, then why not? Hence this may be no mystery, Frontenac (pun intended).

Capture.PNG

I have seen white paint a couple of times as well over the years, but mostly on pre-1900 helmets.

Perhaps the quartermaster officer in that Regiment's supply room preferred using the white marking paint with his units stamps.
Seems like it would make it easier to sort dry, sweat-soaked leather gear during demobilization turn-in, and it wouldn't get sweat-rubbed away as easily.

I have an 1867 Uhlan Tschapka with unit markings in white paint. Agree it's period and a nice addition to any collection. Very nice looking pickelhaube for JR 73.

Unfortunately there are two threads running at the same time. Despite my efforts, I am unable to merge the two threads.

This one and this one:

Thank you for your comments gentlemen.

Here are two documents showing the use of the JR73 to designate the IR73.5225202260_5a35f62693_o.jpg5225202378_f0dc43a304_o.jpgErsatz Battalion of Fusilier Regiment 73 and then to the 1st MGK of Fusilier Regiment 40. - a.jpg

Back