Just arrived

Really nice helmet.....(y)
but may I ask? forgive me ...you know I'm a beginner....:p
-I didn't quite understand the question of the stars
- what does it mean "anyway the spike is for sure a general design ( without the extra rim)"
Thanks
Giorgio
Generale have fluted spike with special design, compared to the Bavarian version it has a rim less ( there is a post on this somewhere), hessian and meckleburg versions are also different

- what does it mean "anyway the spike is for sure a general design ( without the extra rim)"
Thanks
Giorgio
So best way to explain is how the different spikes. First is a Generals spike, notice how the bottom of the spike part does not overlap the top of the base.

Second picture show a regular officer spike where it overlaps the base.

James

Attachments

• Prussian General 1.JPG
    Prussian General 1.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 10
  • spike 3.JPG
    spike 3.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 10
The special general’s spike is one of the best ways of knowing whether you are purchasing a “real “ general officer helmet or not. I owned one of these years ago and fortunately for me it was correct as I had not known what to look for. This been discussed here several years back but now our newer members will also be aware. 👍

As the stars look original to the helmet I would hesitate to replace them, anyway the spike is for sure a general design ( without the extra rim)
Well you were right.
I removed the stars and they are all brass. The top parts had lost their gilding. So will leave it as they are.

Am very happy with the helmet.

Thanks guys for all your comments.

Thanks
Giorgio
Giogio,
These are the stars and they go into the spike base to secure the spike base they are in brass and silver. This particular prussian general helmet is to have brass stars while a bavarian general will have silver stars.20240118_160554.jpg20240118_160601.jpg

Thanks
Giorgio
The bottom area of the spike top that unscrews from the spike base is folded under or curves inward on Prussian & Bavarian General Officer Spikes. The spike on Amy's helmet is a correct General Officer Spike.

A normal Prussian or Bavarian Officer spike has an edge that covers or overlaps the side of the neck of the spike base when it is screwed down onto the spike base.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Back