JzP and Kurassier trim

DASH

Hello

Can anyone tell me what the original trim finish was (plain metal, paint, chemical process or other) on wartime (1915 stamped) OR JzP and Kurassier helmets made by Otto Nachtigall. By trim I am referring to not only the plate and spike, but also the shell trim and rivets. The JzP in question is stamped with an "8" on the top - I assume JzP regiment # 8, and "58" (size) on the inside tail trim. The Kurassier is stamped "63" on the top, and "61" on the inside tail trim.. THANKS, Dan (aka Dash)

Thanks for your answer Joe. It's difficult to determine when you are looking at pictures and the description is "grey fittings", and then the differences in manufacturer, date, and regiment/unit come into play. I made the assumption that the JzP was 8th regiment, size 58, but I don't think there was a Kurassier regiment 63, with the size being 61. Dan

Joe----P.S.---I always loved to visit the River Walk whenever I was in San Antonio. Unique and relaxing after working all day, and much nicer than the San Antonio 10 miles from where I live in Florida!!!!

Dan I am not so sure what your marking is. We have a marking in the listing for the eighth clearly there was nothing with the number as high as 63.

8jzp.jpg

San Antonio is a great town! Traffic is getting to be pretty bad on the northern end but we are loving it.

Joe - Thanks for the information and the photo. I guess that I wasn't too clear in my request, which was for the trim finish used by Otto Nachtigal for his 1915 marked OR JzP and Kurassier helmets. I bought a matched pair as junk for $12 at least 40 or more years ago. They were complete but completely stripped of any finish - including the blueing. They had a fine even coating of rust and a quick silver paint job, which probably prevented severe rusting and pitting. I was able to remove the rust and put them into storage until now. I am now trying to accurately restore them.

I am also trying to identify them. At the rear/point of the lobstertail, on the inside of the trim, they are stamped: 58 for the Jzp, and 61 for the Kurassier. I assume these are size stampings.

At the top of the helmets, under the cloverleaf/football plates and close to the vent hole, directly in line with the wappen crown, 1cm numbers are stamped from the outside: 8 for the JzP, and 63 for the Kurassier. The JzP leather band also has a number 8 handwritten in what appears to be yellow crayon.

I could read this as Jzp Regiment 8, size 58, but am stumped for the meaning of the 63 on the Kurassier. I guess this has been like page 2 from Paul Harvey. Dan

DASH said:
//I could read this as Jzp Regiment 8, size 58, but am stumped for the meaning of the 63 on the Kurassier.//

Dan, it is probably a Quartermaster's inventory number, oftern called a Waffen Nr by the gun collector types. These were issued, so it would be 'Sign here, you are being issued Metalhelm Nr. 63". I think one of mine has a number in the hundreds.

German equipment and inventory numbers - makes sense. I wonder if these two helmets were captured unissued inventory, sent back to the US for the war bond drive before they had a chance to be regiment marked. I guess if that were true, There probably would have been lots of them stored as the Germans were using the steel helmet by then. Thanks, Dan

Back