Kaiser Alexander GGR Shoulder Boards

ottodog8

I don't have much knowledge of Imperial German cloth insignia, but I blundered ahead and bought these anyway. I assume they are reproductions, but the price was so reasonable that I took a chance. Any ideas anyone?

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

Thanks,
Steve

Ottodog8,

Well, I suppose I will be the one to tell you that you screwed up. The gray pair are reproductions and not very good ones at that. They are of a type that has been seen for many years and this particular maker has faked many types of units. They are almost exclusively cyphered straps and those of other desirable units (Flieger, Luftschiffer, Blitzbundel Telegraphen, Lichtmess Trupps, etc.. I have seen these in some of the most knowledgeable collectors displays, so you are not alone in having been fooled.

The telltale signs are these,

Handsewn (quite small) buttonholes.

Mostly unpiped, but occcasionally with piping.

Exact same material front and back.

Non-period Feldgrau material.

Cyphers are never quite right in design and materials even though these are supposed to be issue straps (these cyphers were very standardized).

Your Dunkelblau pair is fine and are very nice private purchase examples. When in doubt, check with the fine people here before you buy. :?

Chip

:eek: :eek: Hi; I recently purchased some pre 1914 cyphered shoulder boards [all singles] and I'm wondering why the variation in size [some are wider and longer others are narrow]??? Any help to further my knowledge would be appreciated. Dick :D :D

Dick,

This is most likely due to the fact that you have an assortment of issue and private purchase straps. Issue pieces pretty much conform to regulation width (5,5cm), but private purchase pieces are all over the place.

Chip

Hello
I add my latest find one white shoulder strap for waffenrock dunkelblau and for comparison on pic with
standart feldgrau model 1915 pattern (sorry not KAR!!!)
1907-10 pattern and the latest for Dunkelblau uniform
you can see the size difference
Regards

2yz0k8y.jpg

33nkzeq.jpg

Back