Kaiserheer/Freikorps/Reichswehr tunic and einheitsfeldmutze

flasheart

Guys,

You know those time when you see something that has a really bad description and some tiny, out of focus photos, and nobody bids on it, but you take a chance anyway? This is the result of one of those 'take a chance' auctions.

It has taken a long time to get here, but it did finally arrive from Germany.

My assessment: An original Imperial German private purchase NCO’s M1915 Feldbluse (tunic), worn during the war, then used by the Freikorps (ex-soldiers who created volunteer units after the war when the Army collapsed and Germany descended into chaos and communist revolution). The tunic has the collar badges of Freikorps Maercker, a famous volunteer unit. There are also shadows of oval badges and cuff stripes on the sleeve. It then has some modifications (breast pockets added), possibly for the provisional Reichswehr.

In one of the pockets were two tailor’s labels that have probably been there since the tunic was last worn. One is marked to Obergefreiter (Corporal) Uhlig of the 11th Infantry Regiment (11th company 11th Sachsen Infantry Regiment- have I interpreted this correctly?), the other is marked to Grenadier Uhlig of the 37th Regiment Reichswehr, so here was a guy who served as an NCO with an Imperial German unit during the war, then joined a Freikorps unit to fight the communists, then joined the post-war Reichswehr as a Private soldier again. The tunic has a few moth holes, but nothing serious.

Also included is a large original 8x10 photo of a Provisional Reichswehr infantry company taken at Grafenwohr in 1919. The owner of the tunic may well be in the photo somewhere.

Also, in the grouping is a late-war pattern M1917 eiheitsfeldmutze (I think, but it does have a black peak?) peaked cap. There was a loose Reichswehr oak wreath in the grouping, and three holes around the kokarden where the oak wreath fits perfectly.

Overall a very very very interesting piece of history, with some provenance on owner’s name and unit. Your opinions please.

Mike

P2062522.jpg

1wk13DSC00366.jpg

P2062525.jpg

P2062524.jpg

untitled-1.jpg

P2062534.jpg

P2062530.jpg

P2062533.jpg

P2062543.jpg

P2062545.jpg

Wow! what a great group. Freikorps items seem to have become increasingly rare and the prices are fairly high. Good find and thanks for posting it.

Mike, as you say, a great piece of History. Thank you for posting. I wonder if anyone has an explanation as to why the oak leaf and acorns has such a prominent place in german militaria?? Brian

Guys,

I have been doing some research and I am just coming to grips with the rapid transition from Kaiserheer, to Freikorps to Provisional Reichswehr to Reichswehr.

The collar emblem on the tunic was the symbol of Freikorps Maercker which was formed from 214th Infantry Division, IV Armee Korps. The IV Korps area borders on Saxony and is very close to Leipzig, so it is possible that Grenadier Uhlig was a member of this Freikorps. FK Maercker became Reichswehr Brigade 16 in the Provisional Reichswehr.

From the Saxon XII and XIX Armee Korps, two border protection Freikorps were raised: Freiwillligen Grenzjäger-Brigades 1 and 2. I do not yet know what emblem these two Freikorps wore, it may well have been the same as FK Maercker. More research to be done there.

In June 1919, Freiwillligen Grenzjäger-Brigade 2 became Reichswehr-Brigade 19 (Leipzig) in the Provisional Reichswehr. Brigade 19 included Infantry Regiment 37 (see the tailors label). It appears that Grenadier Uhlig was a member of IR 37, Provisional Reichswehr.

When the 100,000 man Reichswehr was formed on 1 January 1921, the Provisional Reichswehr Brigades 12, 16 (formerly Freikorps Maercker), and 19 (formerly Freikorps Freiwillligen Grenzjäger-Brigade 2), were combined to form 4th Division (really a Brigade sized organisation) of the new Reichswehr.

One of the regiments in 4th Division was 11 (Sächsisches) Infanterie-Regiment. In this regiment, the traditions of Kgl. Sächs. 8. Infanterie-Regiment Prinz Johann Georg Nr.107 were maintained by the 11th and 12th companies.

So it appears that our boy Obergefreiter Uhlig was then a member of the 11th Company, 11th (Saxon) Infantry Regiment (see the other Tailor's label) of the 100,000 man Reichswehr.

In summary, my assessment is that Mr Uhlig was a Kaiserheer soldier in either IV, XII or XIX Armee Korps, then joined either Freikorps Maercker or Freikorps Freiwillligen Grenzjäger-Brigade 2 during the post-war turmoil, he was then in 37th Infantry Regiment in the Provisional Reichswehr, and finally he was a member of 11th Company, 11th (Saxon) Infantry Regiment in the post-1921 Reichswehr.

What a great piece of history!!

Mike

Hi Mike, I'm hoping I might recognize someone in the photo, but I need a closer view. They're seated in the second row from the front, five (or six) over from the left, wearing glasses and possibly an eye bandage. I'm wondering if I could trouble you for a closer look? Do you have any other information about the photo? take care and hope to talk soon!

Back