Kaiserliche Marine matrosenmutze

I don't like it. I think it was made for a commercial line and had the tally ribbon and cockade added later. Obviously there were many private purchase caps used in the Imperial navy, (I have one) but this one looks contrived. Notice the poor fit of the tally ribbon, how it overhangs the bottom of the cap. Also notice how rumpled the tally ribbon is. I don't like the sloppy attachment of the ribbon at the rear. Just looks put together to me.
Steve

Steve,

I had the same thoughts, so I am glad I hesitated in bidding.

The EMDEN is historically significant in Australia because of the battle with HMAS SYDNEY in 1914, which resulted in EMDEN being defeated and running aground on North Keeling Island off the northwest coast of Australia. The EMDEN had to be defeated to allow troop convoys carrying the first contingents of the AIF to move from Australia to Suez.

I hazard a guess that the winning bidder was an Australian!

Mike

Hey Mike,
The story of the Emden is very interesting, but I found the story of the landing party and their return to Germany to be the best part of the story, It would have made a great Hollywood style movie with out having to change the story.
Gus

Back