Kaiserliche Marine Schirmmütze

Lost Skeleton

I was thrilled to acquire this exceedingly rare and virtually pristine Schirmmütze of a Deckoffizier in the Kaiserliche Marine. For a description of Deckoffiziere I recommend Glenn's article:

http://users.hunterlink.net.au/~maampo/militaer/glenn/marine/deck%20Officers.htm

P1010212.jpg

P1010217.jpg

P1010219.jpg

Chas.

Hi Roy:

It doesn't surprise me that both you and Tony recognized from whence the Schirmmütze originated. For a long time, I thought I would have to content myself with only a loose example of the insignia.

P1010251.jpg

Still, silver bullion (engineering and technical branches) doesn't appear all that often.

Chas.

Regarding your foto Chas...In memory of Scapa Flow?? Was that not the Brit Naval Base where the Grand fleet scuttled itself? Brian

Hi Brian:

You are absolutely correct. What you see is essentially a nucleus crew detailed to remain with Torpedoboot B.112 at Scapa Flow for internment at the time of the surrender and armistice. In fact, the interned German ships were kept ready for sea until May 1919.

When it was ultimately realized that the 4th Hfl would never return to Germany, and the ships might be taken by force, Admiral von Reuter gave orders to scuttle the fleet on Midsummer Day. Thus ended seventh months in limbo.

B.112 was the first Torpedoboot to be sunk.

For those who might be interested in what a cap looks like after months at sea, below is a salty Seeoffizier example. Note the faded bullion and rusted chinstrap buckle.

P1010258.jpg

Chas.

Beautiful items, Chas. I still have a small empty place in my heart when I let loose of my naval schirmmutze to a good home... :)

Regards

Dave

I hear you, Dave. Here's another peep for auld lang syne. For those not familiar, the cross at the center of the Kokarde denotes an Offizier zur See der Reserve. Yes, the Marine employed the reservist cross as well.

P1010261.jpg

Now, here's the white top worn at mess. This photo begs the question, was Popeye a Hun?

Popeye.jpg

Chas.

Chas is your white top removeable? Mine is on tight but it feels like there is a double layer as if there was a blue layer undneath...

uhlan2001.jpg

uhlan2002test.jpg

uhlan2007.jpg

uhlan2006.jpg

Hi John:

It's convertible. The white top is held in place with four snaps and can be swapped out for a blue top (which I don't have).

I remember your splendid hat from a previous posting. How sorely have you been tempted to remove the cover?

Chas.

The itch to remove it is ever present...so is the fear that I will rip something. These two fears seem to cancel each other out and I just stare at it.

I still need to find a chinstrap so if anyone spots something out there please let me know!

John

JohnM said:
The itch to remove it is ever present...so is the fear that I will rip something. These two fears seem to cancel each other out and I just stare at it.

Just stare at it John. At least that, you will never regret.

Tony is most likely right as it wouldn't be worth risking permanent damage. I wonder what an X-ray might reveal.

Since I've hijacked my own topic, I might as well post this unusual variant representing the Marinekorps Flandern. Ages ago, it appeared on the original pickelhaubes forum.

In creating a subdued hat suitable for the trenches, the woven mohair cap band has been eliminated and the characteristic Eichenlaub mit Kokarde und Kaiserkrone is machine embroidered in grey cotton thread. However, the chinstrap buttons remain gilt brass.

The crown of this hat incorporates the Sattelform (saddle shape), which existed in the Kaiserliche Marine on a limited basis and anticipates the style ultimately adopted by the Reichsmarine and, later, Kriegsmarine.

P1010270.jpg

P1010264.jpg

Chas.

That is a nice set of Shimer's . The Fleet at Scappa Flow was mostly raised and turned into scrap . The BBC should have film , showing the raising of those ship's . It was done through the 20' and 30's.
But very nice cap's
Mark :D

Back