Kaiser’s 25 Year Birthday Anniversary and Lot 4111 in Karel’s Auction

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
This year is 25 years since my Kaiser’s birthday, so I was trying to think how to commemorate it. I haven’t bought a helmet since 2016 and thought I was done with collecting helmets, when it was announced that Karel’s collection was being auctioned. I wasn’t expecting to bid on anything, until I saw Lot 4111, an issued M1894 Kürassier Metalhelm. Over many years of collecting, I have never seen an issued Kürassier M1894 in this condition. Not one. This helmet is FNM and in ‘as issued’ condition, and yes I was the very fortunate highest bid. Karel always shared his acquisitions with us, so possibly he had just obtained this. Unfortunately now he cannot share this, so I will share it for him.

For anyone who hasn’t handled an issued Metalhelm, they have almost nothing in common with a leather spiked helmet. Every single component is different, which is why I find Metalhelm so interesting. This helmet is dated 1914 and was manufactured by C.E. Juncker, one of the preeminent manufacturers at the time, best known for their flight badges. In my eyes this issued Kürassier represents the absolute pinnacle of German helmet craftsmanship prior to the First World War.

Was it expensive? Yes.
Do I care? No.
When it’s sold someday, will I get my money back? No.
Do I care? No.
We only live once, and a Kürassier helmet like this appears only once in a lifetime.

Thank you Karel.

0DDFB772-554B-4590-AE93-562873BA773F.jpeg

As the Herman Historica photos are so good, I’ll thank them and use them here. The helmet shell is nickel plated and near flawless with a black and green painted interior. The outside trim around the helmet is plated brass over steel, while the chinscales, oval spike base, and eagle Wappen are brass. Note the machined bolts for the spike base have a distinctive little nipple which seems to be unique to a Juncker made metal helmet. The spike top is removable, and was sticking up a bit when it was photographed. The Prussian eagle Wappen which retains 100% of the gilt coating, is the correct Kürassier M1860 pattern. Note the straight tail feathers and between the wings and knees it is not cut out. The eagle Wappen is attached onto the shell by split rings through two narrow slits (like a guard star overlay), and the two leather wedges are tightly inserted through the two split rings with verdigris, indicating that the eagle Wappen has probably never been removed. The neck guard is issue stamped to Kürassier-Regt. Graf Geßler (Rheinisches) Nr.8 (Deutz) IX Armee Korps. Note that when the issue stamps were punched on, the nickel plating chipped off. This helmet simply couldn’t be any better.

AF08C4AE-7804-49D2-B83A-C216520A1E28.jpegF3A26D12-7FB2-4C29-BC79-2AAE97EB18BF.jpeg30978E4B-2651-4777-864D-F62AB1D8A14A.jpeg953D3823-97EB-49D2-A436-40976340EFF1.jpeg6A37ADD4-3455-4373-86FB-17594AD2B8BF.jpeg
222E8492-803F-402E-8ED0-6E73365095EF.jpeg
0F2FB31B-EBCA-4DFA-A82D-238689DE2BD4.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Peter. I forgot to mention that any slight blemishes you see on the nickel plating, disappeared when I wiped it with a bit of gun oil. Once a year I apply a bit of gun oil to the exterior surface of all my Metalhelme. You have to treat them like a firearm. They need oil to prevent rust. So as you can see in the standard + beer photo, the blemishes are gone and it has a flawless mirror finish. I could shave looking at it.

Thirteen years ago I was at all the auctions of the Brandt collection at Kube in Sugenheim.
Here the collection was hammered away at record amounts in three sessions....
Now these pieces can no longer be found and certainly not at the prizes of then !

So everything is relative

Absolutely a stunning piece. Hard to find in this intouched condition. Congratulation Tony.
I like it a lot.
P.S. In this heat, I also like the cold beer next to the helmet in the first picture.

Congratulations Tony, this is a wonderful piece. A metal helmet like this is one of my collecting dreams, I hope to own such a beautiful helmet one day :)

Awesome addition to your world class collection! Always remember, you can’t take it with you ($) so spend it on the things that you enjoy!

Tony, fantastic! Only few would have known the special attraction of this Metalhleme. I agree entirely with your attitude towards paying for these, probably once in a lifetime of collecting, items. Well done!

Tony,
Well said, and I believe most collectors feel the same way toward their collecting.
PROST! to the memory of your Kaiser, on his birthday, and to Karel's memory!
John

Thank you all for the kind comments and not thinking I have gone mad.

To my great fortune, I am married to an amazing woman who encouraged me to do my best to purchase Karel’s Kürassier Metalhelm.

So let’s raise our glasses tonight and toast the memory of lost friends. Gone but never forgotten.

3A334490-B1A5-4FA0-ADC6-563BB28E33D4.jpeg

Tony,

What a fantastic piece!!! That is a once in a lifetime helmet!!! That's a fresh to the kammer condition!!

I imagine Karel would be proud to know his helmet is being proudly displayed in Kaisersbunker!

A superlative helmet for a superior collection.

John

Back