Kaiser’s 25 Year Birthday Anniversary and Lot 4111 in Karel’s Auction

Excellent helmet Tony, congratulations!

I am also happy to see, that a lot of Karels collection is now with our forum members.
I knew Karel before I was a member here, via other fora.
It is good to know that he will never be forgotten.

Regards, Coert.

I raised my glass. "To absent friends"! I met Karel for a visit at his home. Long ago. The collection. And we met again in Halen. Commemorating 100 years of the fight. 12th August 1914-2014. I cherish a picture. Both of us in front of the Battlefield Museum. Next to the Artillery piece. The catalogue has a special place.

Was it expensive? Yes.
Do I care? No.
When it’s sold someday, will I get my money back? No.
Do I care? No.

Thank you - Well Stated!

Gun Oil... I didn't know this and have an Kur. M1843 and a Schleswig-Holstein M1848 that I struggle with to maintain their surfaces.

I wouldn't use gun oil. There can be free acids in gun oil that may eventually etch the metal. It also evaporates over time. It also attracts dust, which absorbs moisture and causes rust. I once saw a beautiful US Army Colt 1911 pistol, first year of production, in spectacular 99% condition that was stored wrapped in an oily rag. The owner died, and it sat untouched for 25 years. The widow finally decided to sell it and called me. The oil had evaporated from the rag, the rag absorbed moisture, and that once beautiful .45 was covered with rust, to the point of causing pitting. How to turn a $10,000 gun into a $2000 gun in one easy step.
I primarily collect firearms, and I use a product called RIG (stands for Rust Inhibiting Grease). It's a very light grease made for guns available from Brownells. I have weapons I've owned for 50 years, and they look like they did the day I got them. A light film is all it needs, applied with a sheepskin pad. It doesn't soak into the wood, never migrates, never evaporates, it just sits there and protects. When I owned metalhelme I used it on them and it worked fine.

I wouldn't use gun oil. There can be free acids in gun oil that may eventually etch the metal. It also evaporates over time. It also attracts dust, which absorbs moisture and causes rust. I once saw a beautiful US Army Colt 1911 pistol, first year of production, in spectacular 99% condition that was stored wrapped in an oily rag. The owner died, and it sat untouched for 25 years. The widow finally decided to sell it and called me. The oil had evaporated from the rag, the rag absorbed moisture, and that once beautiful .45 was covered with rust, to the point of causing pitting. How to turn a $10,000 gun into a $2000 gun in one easy step.
I primarily collect firearms, and I use a product called RIG (stands for Rust Inhibiting Grease). It's a very light grease made for guns available from Brownells. I have weapons I've owned for 50 years, and they look like they did the day I got them. A light film is all it needs, applied with a sheepskin pad. It doesn't soak into the wood, never migrates, never evaporates, it just sits there and protects. When I owned metalhelme I used it on them and it worked fine.
I concur on the oil, though I think everyone has their personal preferences when it comes to protecting metal pieces. My preferences are: Howard's Feed & Wax, and Renaissance Wax. I've been putting Renaissance Wax on my Metalhelm, as it is what the British Museum uses for their metal artifacts. I figure if it's good enough for them, I can use it too. I put it on everything on the helmet; metal, leather, etc. For firearms, I use the Howard's Feed & Wax, on the wood and on the metal, as it forms a protectant on the metal as well as bringing out the beautiful markings in the wood.

Tony, great! Yes, the Missus and me met Karel twice. First time at his home, showing us his fine collection. Second time 12th of August 2014. In Halen. The 100 year commemoration of the Battle. Had a drink and a nice chat.

I concur on the oil, though I think everyone has their personal preferences when it comes to protecting metal pieces. My preferences are: Howard's Feed & Wax, and Renaissance Wax. I've been putting Renaissance Wax on my Metalhelm, as it is what the British Museum uses for their metal artifacts. I figure if it's good enough for them, I can use it too. I put it on everything on the helmet; metal, leather, etc. For firearms, I use the Howard's Feed & Wax, on the wood and on the metal, as it forms a protectant on the metal as well as bringing out the beautiful markings in the wood.
Does anyone have the pictures of the bottles of Howard's feed and Wax or Renaissance Wax

Does anyone have the pictures of the bottles of Howard's feed and Wax or Renaissance Wax
Here are some pictures of the Howard Feed-n-Wax, and the Renaissance Wax.

Attachments

• Feed-n-wax and Renaissance Wax.jpg
    Feed-n-wax and Renaissance Wax.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Howard Feed-n-wax.jpg
    Howard Feed-n-wax.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Renaissance Wax.jpg
    Renaissance Wax.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 12
Back