Kaiserzeit Magazine

Steve Nick

Miserable, rainy day here so I was digging around the office and re-discovered my collection of Kaiserzeit magazines.

I recognized at least one or two of this forums members in the membership lists from the 80's.

Just wondering if any other members here were members or recall the magazines that were published from the mid 70's to the mid 90's by The Imperial German Collectors Association?

Steve:

I was member number 1178.

The last issue I have is # 54 in 1993. I think I was missing 2 or 3 of the early issues. When I joined I purchased all the back issues that the then editor had available.

Wow, this takes me back. Used to get Kaiserzeit delivered over to the UK when I first started collecting as a teenager. No internet (and no eBay) just Kaiserzeit, and Colonel Rankin's pickelhaube book. Militaria sales at the Black Prince pub in Bexley, Kent and no idea if I was buying genuine stuff or not.

Yes buying a helmet was getting a list in the mail with Polaroid photos of the helmets
and then sending off a letter saying I would like to buy that one
or
making an L D phone call and that was before cell phones so each call was an L D charge
depending on how long you talked
Steve

Well this is a stroll down ancient memory lane (IGMCA Member #1169). If only I had the foresight then to get all the back issues...

And I remember those LD phone calls with someone trying to describe an item to you. Yeesh, what a different time.

Manion’s auction catalog was the “militaria fix” for me. Fortunately, I also had a militaria store about a half hour drive away where I could actually lay hands on pieces before buying.

Manion’s auction catalog was the “militaria fix” for me. Fortunately, I also had a militaria store about a half hour drive away where I could actually lay hands on pieces before buying.
Hoo boy - I remember Manion's. That was a fun venue...until it wasn't!

~Jeff

I went in person to Manion's one time with an American who was a dealer
in Germany Dean Krasomil . .I bought some things direct from Ron on that trip
Kaiser prizes and swords I think that I remember .
We also went to " The House of Swords "
I expected a nice stocked store .
The business operation was out of the owners basement of his house
and all the swords were in wooden barrels !
Steve

Yes Manions went down hill dramatically towards the end! The descriptions of items became a joke. Luckily, I was not into collecting WW2 Nazi stuff. I had a House of Swords catalog years ago weren’t they in Florida?

House of Swords was in Missouri! Joe Walters, Talked to him a couple times, he got good stuff and bad, a whole other story that we have talked about in other posts. He was a master sword maker and today the market is flooded with his many fake Civil war swords that are now being sold as original, he was good until he cut his hand really bad one time making a sword. Unfortunately my brother got taken by him on many Civil War silver presentation swords he made and sold to him.... High quality stuff, he use to get many pickelhaubes and put them in his catalog, but when you called they where always gone...

My brother also went to see him once, and like Steve said wooden barrels full of swords etc.

I believe he was murdered by his son-in-law over a coin collection dispute.

For fun I have collected his catalogs over the years, I have 30 of the 33 he offered, great fun to look at.

James

Ahh yes...Manions

I have a file cabinet drawer filled with old catalouges. They made for a reasonably good reference work for oddball items that you'd come across in collecting but couldn't identify. It was a great business model while it lasted but when it went south it went pretty quick.

What ever became of Ron Manion?

Ron Manion passed away a few years ago .
I remember seeing the O B
but I don't remember where I saw it ?
Maybe an email sent out to me ?

All that James wrote seems correct to me , as I remember
Steve

I thought that I heard that a tornado wiped him out.
I got some great things from Manions
They had a 88 muzzle break for sale or auction ?
I forgot that it was going to final sale.
It sold for cheap cheap.
If you can find one up for sale the pricing is through the roof.
There aint nothing cheap anymore

Wow! Such a blast from the past. I was IGMCA #901. My brother still has the Kaiserzeit collection, although I don’t believe it is complete. I think my card was signed by Wm Hammelman.

Back