KB 1 Feldartillerie M15

JzPf

I haven’t picked up a tunic for several years, in fact I’ve thinned out my collection of tunics quite a bit. But this one I couldn’t pass. This set belonged to Freiherr von Soden, (Loden?) of the Königlich Bayerisches 1. FeldartillerieRegt Prinz Luitpold, delivered on 29 Sept 1915. I was able to acquire this tunic along with the trousers, also named, last year. It’s in minty condition. Interesting that this Regt sported copper buttons. This has subdued silver with copper buttons on the shoulder boards and securing the pocket flaps. Awards added for display.

0D0FE476-4BD3-4B53-B0CD-62F67B264397.jpeg511DC431-AB60-4115-B621-BB07841021B5.jpeg69FFEF58-0DAC-4597-BB26-80B7C26A7364.jpeg8DFBAF55-997E-4BFE-B807-17C6611BF0CD.jpegIf anyone has information on this Hauptmann Freiherr von Soden it would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Dennis

It would appear as though he escaped to Switzerland, then down to Rio de Janeiro, then to the United States and finally Canada.

chaps,

according to the first document, Karl Freiherr von Soden entered the Bavarian army as an 18 year old on 25 April 1917. The tunic is that of a captain dated September 1915.

The man in question is Joseph Maria Freiherr von Soden-Fraunhofen, in 1914 an Oberleutnant der Reserve (25.8.13) n 1. Feldartillerie-Regiment Prinz Luitpold. A diplomat by profession, a legation secretary in Berlin. Promoted to Hauptmann der Reserve on 14 July 1916 with a Patent of seniority of 19 May 1916. The rank stars must have been altered accordlingly after the initial delivery of the tunic.

Regards
Glenn

chaps,

according to the first document, Karl Freiherr von Soden entered the Bavarian army as an 18 year old on 25 April 1917. The tunic is that of a captain dated September 1915.

The man in question is Joseph Maria Freiherr von Soden-Fraunhofen, in 1914 an Oberleutnant der Reserve (25.8.13) n 1. Feldartillerie-Regiment Prinz Luitpold. A diplomat by profession, a legation secretary in Berlin. Promoted to Hauptmann der Reserve on 14 July 1916 with a Patent of seniority of 19 May 1916. The rank stars must have been altered accordlingly after the initial delivery of the tunic.

Regards
Glenn
Thank you for the correction in my research. I will try and do some more digging with the now correct name.

His biography in German per Wikipedia. He was elevated to the noble rank of Count in 1916 and after wounds and sickness was returned to duty with the Bavarian legation in Berlin in 1915. As far as I can see, there is just one entry for him at ancestry in the Bavarian military records collection and it seems some of that is obscured. :(

Regards
Glenn

His biography in German per Wikipedia. He was elevated to the noble rank of Count in 1916 and after wounds and sickness was returned to duty with the Bavarian legation in Berlin in 1915. As far as I can see, there is just one entry for him at ancestry in the Bavarian military records collection and it seems some of that is obscured. :(

Regards
Glenn
Is he listed in a Rangliste showing any awards?

These are his peacetime awards as at the time of the publication of the 1914 Militär-Handbuch. I will check for wartime awards.

Soden.jpg
Jubilee Medal
Prussian Red Eagle Order 4th Class
Long service decoration 2nd class
Malteser Ritter-Orden - Ehren- und Devotionsritter

Regards
Glenn

These are his peacetime awards as at the time of the publication of the 1914 Militär-Handbuch. I will check for wartime awards.

View attachment 30695
Jubilee Medal
Prussian Red Eagle Order 4th Class
Long service decoration 2nd class
Malteser Ritter-Orden - Ehren- und Devotionsritter

Regards
Glenn
Thanks, Glenn!

These are the only two I have found for him:

Prussian Iron Cross 2nd Class: (gazetted in the Bavarian Verordnungs-Balatt on 10 April 1915)
Bavarian Military Merit Order 4th Class with Swords: 26 May 1915.

Regards
Glenn

These are the only two I have found for him:

Prussian Iron Cross 2nd Class: (gazetted in the Bavarian Verordnungs-Balatt on 10 April 1915)
Bavarian Military Merit Order 4th Class with Swords: 26 May 1915.

Regards
Glenn
Great, appreciate it, Glenn!

Back