Khedive Guard Helmet Project

Peter_Suciu

A few years ago I bought an Egyptian Khedive Guard helmet that had seen better days. It came from London and according to the seller his grandfather purchased it in 1919 in Cairo, it went in a box and was forgotten until 2011.

Here is the helmet:

KhediveHelmet1_zpsskochsyj.jpg

Seen on the right:
Persian8_zpssxhzoc8u.jpg

I won this other helmet at auction:
KhediveHelmet2_zpsi3oqfdpr.jpg

This is a major step up but the helmet has had an repair. The dome is in two pieces. What is strange is that it has the same markings "XXXV" as all the brass parts and the body of my other helmet. So maybe this was a period repair, but I don't know. My feeling is the helmet was damaged and someone did a poor repair.

My plan is to clean up the first body, use the parts from the second helmet and have one much nicer helmet. There are a few problems that I've already encountered. The hangers the chainmail can't be removed, so I will have to make something close. The second problem is a bigger one. Not all the parts are exactly interchangeable. I am going to continue to clean the first body and see where I am at. I've already done a bath of Evapo-Rust and it is looking good. I may want to give it a second bath and then see if I can polish up the body, and go from there.

Very cool project. Did you get the second helmet at the auction in LV a couple of weekends back? I noticed there was one for sale there...

Arran said:
Very cool project. Did you get the second helmet at the auction in LV a couple of weekends back? I noticed there was one for sale there...

I did get it at that auction. There were two and this was the one I won. I actually bid on this one because it came with a second helmet, which will be a second project this summer, maybe fall. It was sold as Egyptian but it is in fact Tibetan. I won't do the Evapo-Rust treatment and will keep the patina instead. That helmet will need the scale neck curtain to be put back together. It should be a nice helmet when all is said and done.

Here is the restoration efforts for my Khedive Guard helmet. I used Evapo-Rust but I didn't want to over polish. I wanted this to have the look of 100+ year old patina on bare metal. I did polish the brass and it is a bit more than I wanted, but I think the result is still pretty good. I haven't tried to tackle creating a new liner. Maybe another time.

Still, I think this displays VERY well considering the two helmets that I began with this week.

KhediveRestored1_zpsjt2mlmxh.jpg

KhediveRestored4_zpsptluizm2.jpg

KhediveRestored3_zpsusb1h9bp.jpg

KhediveRestored2_zpshire0mdp.jpg

You obviously see a difrence in now and then so i like the now situation

Must say that i have never seen sutch a helmet before

In what period where these helmets in use or easyer said how old are these helmets exactley

Jonas

kaiser said:
You obviously see a difrence in now and then so i like the now situation

Must say that i have never seen sutch a helmet before

In what period where these helmets in use or easyer said how old are these helmets exactley

Thank you Jonas. These helmets were used in the latter half of the 19th century. These were made in France for the Khedive, the de facto ruler of Egypt. The word essentially would be the same as "Viceroy" and was a term adopted by Muhammad Ali Pasha - who became the semi-autonomous (independent) ruler of Egypt yet still a vassal to the Ottoman Empire.

The backstory is that during Napoleon's invasion of Egypt the ruling Mamluk military caste was defeated - and the Ottoman's sent troops from the Balkans led by Muhammad Ali Pasha (a Muslim from Albania). Muhammad Ali seized control of the country, and declared himself ruler of Egypt, quickly consolidating an independent local powerbase. The Ottomans attempted to have him killed, but when that failed the Sublime Porte in Constantinople officially recognized Muhammad Ali as Pasha and Wāli (Governor) of Egypt. Muhammad Ali declared himself "Khedive," a title adopted by his successors and then recognized by the Ottomans.

So that is how the title and rule came about. Under the Khedive the semi-autonomous state of Egypt allowed the French and British to build the Suez Canal, and during this time Cairo became a more modern city. It had street lights before Paris, upgraded the sewers and generally was becoming more "European" influenced. With this influence from France the Khedive adopted more Western style uniforms and this included this style of helmet.

It was used from the 1860s to circa 1900.

Here are more discussions about the Khedive's armor and helmets:
http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8973" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And some more images:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/7881368073301523/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your restoration job looks great! That auction was full of gems...I got several RARE Imperial tunics for less than 10 cents on the dollar...

Arran ;
How about sharing please sharing photos of your rare Imperial
tunics that you got at the auction ? Or least maybe a list .
Did you get any of the Prussian Grenadier Regiments 1 thru 12 ?
I am looking for Officers waffenrocks G R 3 : G R 6 & G R 9
also looking for enlisted Grenadier waffenrocks
all except 5 ; 6 & 12
enlisted for me are hard to find
Thanks
Steve

I don't have them in hand yet, but I got 2 Prussian General's parade tunics, 2 GdC officer's Koller's, and a red GdC gala tunic...couldn't believe the selection and prices! Almost everything was misidentified...

Arran ;
Are the Generals the regular Generals tunics
or could they be a General assigned to one regiment ?
A la Suite or Chef ?

The red G d C gala is a real prize

Thanks
Steve

The Generals' tunics are the pre-1909 type with the fully embroidered cuffs and collar. I don't want to hijack this interesting thread, so I'll post them separately when they arrive...

Hi Peter,

Great helmet. I am trying to restore one at the moment. I was wondering if you have any spare parts from the second helmet? I am particularly after rosaces and chin scales.

Please PM me if you have any spares.

Regards

Steve

Back