Königs. Sächs. 1. Ulanen-Regt. Nr. 17…

Lost Skeleton

… Kaiser Franz Joseph von Österreich, König von Ungarn (that's a mouthful).

Not from the SOS, but it does represent one of my "later" finds — an M1894 other ranks Tschapka from UR17. What I really like about this piece is the lavish Stempelung in the interior.

UR171_zpsbznijpna.jpg

The Tschapka liner features the characteristic squared-off leather tongues

Stempel_zpsthxw47kn.jpg

The underside of these tongues are ink-stamped 17.U. 5.E. (plus something I can't make out). This information is repeated on Ulan Fischer's nametag, as well as the Stempel in white paint, which, by III garniture stripes, indicates this Tschapka was on the verge of no longer being serviceable. I would describe the condition today as solid, but well worn, with the major detraction being the condition of the lacquer

UR173_zpsnci0shgi.jpg

The Sachsen Wappen is secured by threaded fasteners. The Rabatte is white

UR172_zpsmzvkzwyj.jpg

Feldzeichen, Sachsen style Reichskokarde, and Schuppenketten — all original

UR174_zpsqydy9wa4.jpg

And, topping things off, a Haarbusch of white horsehair

Now, if I could only find an original Fangschnur for an affordable price…

Excellent Chas, very rare. Could you please email the pictures of Regt markings so that I can add them to the list we are composing. Again congratulations.

I think it's a super example. Just think of all of the weather this has probably been out in during its service life. Wow!

:D Ron

Lost Skeleton said:
Stempel_zpsthxw47kn.jpg

The underside of these tongues are ink-stamped 17.U.R.5.E. (plus something I can't make out). This information is repeated on Ulan Fischer's nametag, as well as the Stempel in white paint, which, by III garniture stripes, indicates this Tschapka was on the verge of no longer being serviceable.

Excellent, excellent!!! =D> =D> =D>

Maybe this "something" that you can´t make out is simply a date. It would be interesting to check it closer.

There were two Ulanen Fischer at the UR17 during WWI. Two mentions about these guys in the Verlustlisten, September 1915.

Artur Fischer, at the 2. Escadron, seriously wounded and shortly later, dead:

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/2998700" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Bruno Fischer I, 4. Escadron, who was missed

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/2998702" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philippe
:wink:

Great helmet .
What more could you want ?
Some collectors only want officers helmets .
And that is O K
but I like the enlisted helmets as well .
The Armee could not operate with officers only

Steve

argonne said:
Maybe this "something" that you can´t make out is simply a date. It would be interesting to check it closer.
Philippe, you are correct. In fact, the Tschapka may bear two dates The first two numbers are 18. The remaining numbers have been obliterated because this section of liner tongue rested (and rubbed) against the prongs and washer of the Knopf 91. Reading from left to right, the entire stamp reads: 17.U. 18-- 5.E. 1895

The first 18 is slightly smaller than in the complete 1895.

Thanks,

Chas

Back