Konigsburg picklehaube found cheap

Swanicyouth

F0588AE6-4250-4C99-93DD-47CF850A264D.jpegAF1BEA0B-4F24-48CD-8123-C3262DB0990D.jpegAE8C931F-0F27-4D51-882A-A80481D82A5E.jpegimage.jpg

Hi all. First post here & I know nothing about military helmets except what I’ve read in the past hour online. Picked this up pretty cheap.

Here’s what I think I know about this:

-I think it’s real
- Seems to have 1914 stamped on inside
- metal parts seem not to be brass but some type of steel
- one of the red & white colored disks (kockade?) seems to have been painted later - maybe both. I understand one is supposed to be red & white & one not
- chin strap seems too perfect to be original but do not know.

***Going to research how to restore it. Anything anyone else can tell me would be greatly appreciated

Congratulations...looks like you've got a 1914 made leather helm with 1915 pattern grey metal fittings which is perfectly fine. The chin strap is reproduction and you are right about the cockade that has been re-painted. The other looks ok. Only need one of these do lose the repainted one. Give it a light claen with a soft brush or cloth and leave it ! cheers Tony

Thanks Tony. Probably to the dismay of the collectors here - I’d like to restore it to a “newer” type condition. I’m an antique clock guy, so I know the drill of how some people like patina & leave it how it is & some like a more restored look.

But I also know enough not to mess with it until I know at least a little bit about what I’m doing ;)

Is it possible you think to repaint the 1 cockade at one point to make it more original, since it’s already been painted - I guess the damage has been done?

Hi, yep that's easily done. Hopefully it's metal so take off the re-paint and paint it black and white for Prussia and your good to go. cheers tony

Back