KR2 officer helmet. Early model

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for posting it! I remember it well when it looked like this!

You did a fantastic job of cleaning it up and bringing it back to its glory! :bravo:

Best Wishes,

Alan

Yes! I am so grateful to Alan who found this helmet and sold it to me.
You see, Brian, it is mostly happy deals on Pickelhaubes.com...

And I insist, this is exactly the same helmet below, with the only exception of one spike basis retaining stud and black ink on the scroll.

L1060416_zps2towtdjc.jpg
L1060387_zps0qstsmvz.jpg

That is absolutely beautiful. I have a 2.K. unit marked Luger, but I know that I would never be able to afford such a helmet, even if I could find one. Heck, I can't even find a front plate.

Congratulations Bruno, truly an excellent restoration on a very rare helmet!

Many thanks to all for your comments. These officer early helmets were not Ni-plated, like later models, which makes restoration considerably easier. Only bare steel to be polished (perhaps some of these were actually plated; happy to learn if some of you know...).
On this one even the liner string is original. The leather lining inside the visor has turned light brown, although a tiny amount of remaining dye confirms it used to be green in colour.

This is a fantastic transformation and a great example of results from hard work. Thanks for sharing, Bruno.
Best regards,
John

Thank you, John. It was a pleasant job, and not so difficult.
Cheers,
Beautiful helmet. I have a 1842 Officer helmet that is nic-plated and compromised. Sold to me as steel but previous owner tried to remove on the bell but rusted through on the visor and tail. Any ideas on restoring the down to the steel?

Back