Kube 109

joerookery

Got the catalog today. Thicker than most. I understand he has a partial catalog up on his website.

http://www.kube-auktionen.de/

The phone calls should start tomorrow. I have not looked yet but cruises and I'm still focused on this 109th.....

This helmet was at SOS. It is really unusual and is now Los 1455 in this 109 Kube Auction.
maneuverhelm.jpg

These are known as manöverhelms and are entirely phony looking. Super light weight they are made of cork with a paier mache wappen. Idea was to have a helmet that looked right but was really light to wear.
This one was made by the correct firm Bortfeldt.
bremen.jpg

Kube says he has only seen 4 of these types in 40 years.
So the guy who was selling at Randy's table consigned this and maybe others to Kube. He wanted $7000 at SOS. opening bid here is 3800 Euros.

By the way there is also a 94th active officer's helmet in the same auction.....

Joe just informed me that the Pony Express should deliver my copy to me tomarrow or the next day or the next.... It is wonderful living in the Great American Desert. I am already lusting after the helmets from IR 92 & 94. Bill

Bill remember the IR 94 I fell in love with at SOS???? Too good a chance this is the same one. We will talk if the pony arrives.

Based on comments in this thread, Bill wrote Kube asking for a picture of the back of the plate of the IR 94. Kube looked and pulled the item from the auction as not original. Chalk up another one for this forum. It also says loads about Kube's good intentions.

joerookery said:
Based on comments in this thread, Bill wrote Kube asking for a picture of the back of the plate of the IR 94. Kube looked and pulled the item from the auction as not original. Chalk up another one for this forum. It also says loads about Kube's good intentions.
Hi Joe,
I'll bet he looks at the back of the Wappen in the future before buying or consigning a helmet. Nice catch on this one Joe!
Gus

Hi Gus,
Did you have a chance to look at the IR 94 helmet at the SOS? I have looked at many helmets and this one looked soooo good. I doubt if anyone would have guessed that it was a repro.... and that includes Herr Kube. The key was the back of the helmet and yes I bet that they now look at the reverse of every helmet that is listed in their auction. Bill

Hi Bill, I didn't look, but I heard Joe's description. Yeah, check everything...twice!

Best wishes,
Gus

Back